Chief's stove top deep brown beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh boy, yes, I've had those! Well, not that brand but they are marvelous!
I'll go look for some again!

Thanks Aunt Bea! I also saw taxy just mention in the dinner thread she used hot dogs, I guess anything along those lines, including Kielbasa, would be good.

This recipe sounds really good! I am going to make it this weekend.

I love all types of beans, so will probably use a mixture of pinto or borlotti and chickpeas (which are apparently Garbanzo! Had to look that up.) Since our weather in the UK is atrocious, I think this will make a lovely, sustaining and warming meal!

Chief even suggested what to serve it with - bless his heart. :heart:

Quick question regarding "yellow mustard". I have Dijon, Wholegrain, and of course, English mustard (both powder and jar varieties which is a fair bit stronger). Which one is the most appropriate to use?

Last edited:
Yellow mustard over here is your garden variety that would be put on good ole american Hot Dogs. I thik they are mild and sort of sweet (?) compared to European mustards.

I don't think it really matters, I imagine I would use Dijon.

Thank you for bumping this taxy. I too have copied but still not made yet.
Question:
What do you use, or how to you make, or where do you get your 'smoked pork loin'?
I used smoked pork sausages, AKA hot dogs. These ones:

This recipe sounds really good! I am going to make it this weekend.

I love all types of beans, so will probably use a mixture of pinto or borlotti and chickpeas (which are apparently Garbanzo! Had to look that up.) Since our weather in the UK is atrocious, I think this will make a lovely, sustaining and warming meal!

Chief even suggested what to serve it with - bless his heart. :heart:

Quick question regarding "yellow mustard". I have Dijon, Wholegrain, and of course, English mustard (both powder and jar varieties which is a fair bit stronger). Which one is the most appropriate to use?
How dark is the "bean juice" with those beans? This recipe has you include the liquid in the can of beans. If the liquid is dark, it might give the dish a muddy, yucky colour. I know this from making a bean soup with black turtle beans. It tasted fine, but it didn't look nice. That bean juice is full of flavour, so I wouldn't leave it out. That's why I used navy beans die this dish. They are white.

taxy, are you referring to the borlotti beans, they are sort of multi-coloured if I remember correctly, mostly pale. Nothing like turtle beans.
However, thanks for the warning, I just might have used turtle beans had you not mentioned it.

Yes, Borlotti beans are sort of striped if I recall. Only red kidney beans seem to have a dark coloured liquid in the tins I get. And given the recipe is called "Deep Brown Beans" I guess I am assuming it will be pretty dark-coloured anyway?

Will I be lynched/thrown out of the forum if I say I am likely to use vegetarian smoked hotdogs for my version of this dish? I will be using very nice smoked bacon as well. But I had a rather unfortunate experience with a hot dog a few years ago, and haven't been able to face a meat one since!

You can use what ever your little heart desires. You don't even have to add them if even the idea turns you off.
One thing the Chief, plus many, many other chefs, always encouraged was to make the recipe your own.
BTW, the Chief did not use hot dogs, that was just in taxy's version. He used smoked pork loin, cooked.
Not all grocery stores carry it but what Aunt Bea pictured are smoked loin chops. They are delicious! I only had them for the first time a little over a year ago and I was completely gobsmacked!
So you don't have to put in anything, or everything, Kielbasa, etc. It's just that what ever meat you use it should not be raw.

Oh, those smoked loin chops looked so good! But I have never seen them here. Fair enough, I am going to put smoked bacon, and probably some other form of pork in my version. What I don't want to do is lose the "spirit" of the original recipe.

An envelope of this ham flavored bouillon from the folks at GOYA is a nice addition to recipes that call for bacon, ham, etc… as a seasoning. I add it to beans, greens, scalloped potatoes, etc…

1691609442257.jpeg

An envelope of this ham flavored bouillon from the folks at GOYA is a nice addition to recipes that call for bacon, ham, etc… as a seasoning. I add it to beans, greens, scalloped potatoes, etc…

View attachment 65495
My head is exploding at adding the whole envelope to anything. I use this stuff too, but I add about 1/8 of a teaspoon. It takes me months to go through a packet. Its pretty much all MSG, which I am a fan of. But in small amounts.

The ham flavored goes in all my bean soups. Good stuff.

You won't lose the spirit. Over here you can buy canned beans with many slight changes in style. All basically 'Baked Beans' but some are more flavoured with Molasses, or Maple Syrup, or Tomato - it can be a bit mind boggling while looking at the shelves. My brother used to love those little bits of pork in them but to me they were just little chunks of fat (shudder). Gave him mine most willingly!
Now that I think of it, I originally knew them as "Pork and Beans" but (I think) as more and more people started making them at home the more common name was "Baked Beans".

Type in 'Heinz Canned Pork and Beans' into your search engine and you'll see what I mean by variety. (sorry, can't seem to make a link to it)

View attachment 65495
Interesting. I saw these in Sainsburys and was a bit puzzled. (I used to be able to get pork stock cubes but they have disappeared forever apparently.)

Attachments

• Ham stock cubes.jpg
    Ham stock cubes.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 6
I have never seen pork or ham stock cubes/cubes/paste or otherwise.
Think chicken (for me) was the original, then came beef, after that vegetable. Just recently mushroom, but never pork/ham.

forgot about fish... stick that in anywhere as it is not something I would use. :LOL:

You won't lose the spirit. Over here you can buy canned beans with many slight changes in style. All basically 'Baked Beans' but some are more flavoured with Molasses, or Maple Syrup, or Tomato - it can be a bit mind boggling while looking at the shelves. My brother used to love those little bits of pork in them but to me they were just little chunks of fat (shudder). Gave him mine most willingly!
Now that I think of it, I originally knew them as "Pork and Beans" but (I think) as more and more people started making them at home the more common name was "Baked Beans".

Type in 'Heinz Canned Pork and Beans' into your search engine and you'll see what I mean by variety. (sorry, can't seem to make a link to it)
Ah, well "baked beans" in the UK are a bit of a staple! Breakfast, lunch, dinner - a tin of beans may be deployed! For me, I like a potato waffle, with slices of good strong cheddar on top, with some Heinz baked beans on top! Super for breakfast, brunch or lunch I find. The beans are in a mild tomato sauce. But you can also get "beans and mini sausages" - also in a very mild tomato sauce. Not my thing but Ollie likes them.

What I like about this recipe is that it is using canned beans, but still includes elements of "cooking". I guess I am being wildly romantic thinking this is a bit like what a cowboy might have rustled up "out on the range", back in the day. So using smoked meats would have been a thing - both for practicality, but also for flavouring. What can I say, I just like the idea of it!

My ex (born in Sussex) always insisted on beans with breakfast, LOL. Whenever he went out for breakfast with the shift, he would get the waitress' to bring some. Got so that all the restaurants around the station started serving them as a matter of course. :LOL
Was pretty Anglais for French Quebecers!

I don't think anyone should "insist" on beans"! When I go to other countries, I do my best to adapt! (y)

Obviously, if I was unfortunate enough to find myself offered sheep's eyes or other such delicacies, I might have to become vegetarian, or ill. (because I would be - very quickly.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom