"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 09-28-2007, 04:38 PM   #21
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Attili View Post
You can get a Large Egg, Nest, and Plate setter with tax for around $865.00
the $1,000 version is the XL and is for people that cook for more than 30-50 people on a regular basis.
One other thing, the extra large version uses a 24Ē grid. Iíve got a 22Ē Weber. So the XL Egg is only 2 inches more in diameter. Iíve fully loaded that rig, and it doesnít come close to making enough for 30-50 people! There is no way you can say that an XL Egg is the tool of choice for feeding 30-50 people!

Hereís a shot of a 22Ē rig nearly fully loaded,. Even if you squeezed in a couple more roasts, youíre not approaching the 30-50 person mark.

And the XL version is base priced at $1,199.00. With the nest, tables, and temp gauge, youíre looking at $1,424.85 and the thing weighs 240 pounds. The lid alone weighs 60 pounds! If you have to pay for shipping, it costs even more!

Nothing against the egg though. I've always wanted one, but let's be realistic about the thing!

Old 09-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #22
Head Chef

I sell them here at my store

Large Egg complete with Temp gauge, 1 ceramic top, a daisy wheel top, feet, firebox, fire ring, dvd, and cook book-$699.00 (Manufacture price)

Nest-76.95 (manufacturer price)

Plate setter- 36.95 (manufacturers price)

Tax-(here in Florida) 48.77

Total-$861.67

There are dealers in most areas of the US so shipping is not essential.

The website you mentioned Free Delivery also. the Egg weighs 140 the other items are boxed seperately, UPS does ship them.

The price list you have above, you have added the eggmates, nest and temp gauge in that are included with the package price. So from that site the Egg with those items costs $869.00.. That's it.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
The price list you have above, you have added the eggmates, nest and temp gauge in that are included with the package price. So from that site the Egg with those items costs $869.00.. That's it.
Yeah, I just read the fine print, and it seems they do throw in the nest and side tables. Most dealers in my area donít but instead give a price that is just for the egg, and then piecemeal you for the rest. Bunch of rip-off artists!

So, 869.00....let's say 8% tax that we pay here in Alabama, and you hit 938.52........nearly $1,000 dollars. Pretty pricey for a grill/smoker, especially for someone that is just starting to learn how to smoke. But as I said, Iíd like to have one.....and I definitely wouldnít turn one down if someone offered me one!
Old 09-28-2007, 04:55 PM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

So, how do we help this guy make great ribs?!?!?!?
Old 09-28-2007, 04:57 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
So, how do we help this guy make great ribs?!?!?!?
I already posted how to get started......now he has to pick the equipment and the meat.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:01 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

Just tryong to break a BGE logjam
Old 09-28-2007, 05:02 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
One other thing, the extra large version uses a 24Ē grid. Iíve got a 22Ē Weber. So the XL Egg is only 2 inches more in diameter. Iíve fully loaded that rig, and it doesnít come close to making enough for 30-50 people! There is no way you can say that an XL Egg is the tool of choice for feeding 30-50 people!

Hereís a shot of a 22Ē rig nearly fully loaded,. Even if you squeezed in a couple more roasts, youíre not approaching the 30-50 person mark.

And the XL version is base priced at $1,199.00. With the nest, tables, and temp gauge, youíre looking at $1,424.85 and the thing weighs 240 pounds. The lid alone weighs 60 pounds! If you have to pay for shipping, it costs even more!

Nothing against the egg though. I've always wanted one, but let's be realistic about the thing!
The diameter is not the limit to the cooking space. I utilize the verticle space that the Egg has as well. I have smoked 4- 8lbs. Pork butts at one time on my Egg. The ones on the grate cook at the same rate as the ones on the grill extender.

As for the XL
Base price $991

Nest- $97.95

Platesetter-$69.95

Tax (Florida)-$69.53

Total- $1228.43

As for shipping, again most areas have a BGE dealer within a realistic driving distance.

Another HUGE plus for th Egg is unlike any metal grill, it will not rust. You can safely say that the Egg can last over 40 years. Even at the prices you quote, the XL would only cost an average of $31.00 a year
and a large would be much less.

Now,Back to this persons Ribs
Old 09-28-2007, 05:07 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeblock
Well, I've been saving up some money for just such an occasion, and I figured this is a good place to get some ideas. As far as the equipment goes, I'm looking to start from scratch and get what I need.
What a great Christmas gift idea this is. It will be here before you know it. My advice is to spend the time between now and then reading and researching everything/everywhere you can about the different cooking appliances on the market seeking out their pros and cons etc. to see what best fits your personal needs/wants. My guess is, by the time you wade through the Marketing ploys, Advertising hyperbole, misinformation and disinformation you will make an informed decision! One that you will be happy with for years to come. Once you have made your choice, then the next step will be learing to cook on that particular cooker. Thats when the fun starts! Good luck!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:24 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
The diameter is not the limit to the cooking space. I utilize the verticle space that the Egg has as well. I have smoked 4- 8lbs. Pork butts at one time on my Egg. The ones on the grate cook at the same rate as the ones on the grill extender.
Pre-cooked weight of 8lbs will give you about 7+ pounds of useable meat...assuming no bones. About 28+ pounds of pulled pork. So, in theory, with all the sides, and only allowing for sandwiches and the occasional plate of pork, you could manage to give 50 people a taste. But as you point out, youíre limited to pulled pork. No room for ribs, shoulders (larger and have bones), salmon, brisket, etc.

So again, itís unrealistic to say the XL is a 30-50 person cooking apparatus when it obviously could only accomplish that task for one cut of meat. Youíre basically saying itís a twelve hundred dollar pulled pork machine if you suggest this.

Now, let's get back to those ribs!
Old 09-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

I experience about a 30% loss in weight with pork butts (boneless) when making pulled pork. A 7 pound butt would yield about 5 pounds.