"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 07-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #21
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Great info all , thanks Skillet Licker for the product recomendations. I will get some ordered ASAP!

Old 07-14-2006, 06:33 PM   #22
Head Chef

Okay mudbug; How do we divy up the commission?

Wait a minute, how does that private message thing work again?

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:49 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
Great info all , thanks Skillet Licker for the product recomendations. I will get some ordered ASAP!
TATTRAT,
I don't want to discourage you. There are great ribs made in regular BBQs and there are simple ways to add a smoke box to an existing BBQ. Also there are simple smokers that are good at holding the heat in the low 200's for hours at a time that can be had for about $50. I own one but I confess it's rarely used. I prefer, as a matter of principle, to cook at home so I'm feeling a little guilty about my tone in this conversation. No offense to anyone was intended.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:42 PM   #24
Executive Chef

rub a dub dub

There are many schools of thought regarding cooking ribs. Many people swear by the double cook method. I don't.
I'm a rub girl. Generously rub the meat the day before you plan to eat it. ****, sometimes I rub two days before.
The idea is to break down the muscle slowly, allowing time for it to tenderize. So, cook them sloooooooooooowly at a low temperature, 225-250. I usually cook them, covered, about 21/2 to 3 hours, depending on how many racks I'm doing. Start brushing some sauce on them about 40 minutes before they are done. Once sauced, keep uncovered.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:48 PM   #25
Executive Chef

I also dry rub put in low oven a couple of hours then grill they always come out great.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:58 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

i like to rub them with spices then cook at 250 indirect heat for a couple of hours with smoke. i then cut them up and put them in a backing dish. add liberal amounts of your fav BBQ sauce and cover. put in oven and cook about 220 for a hour or so more. these things ar so good they never see the next day. so tender you can pull the meat off with your lips, but go ahead and use your teeth or people will look at you funny.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:37 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by exactly150
Well, what do you do to get falling-off-the-bone spare ribs? I've tried to par boil on top of the stove with spices, but you have to be careful, because sometimes it really dries them out.
Whose got an absolutely fantastic recipe? I do smoke them for my husband, but I really hate that smokey flavor, so I'm looking for something I can do just for me. Thanks, Deb

Want my advice? I'll gladly give it to you.

I USED to do that. My moms did it also. But to me, that's the old Dinosaur way! Sorry to offend anyone on this method, but I just don't do ribs that way any more.

Fall-off-the-bone spare ribs and babyback ribs do NOT have to be started that way. And I also found out that they don't even have to marinate at all. Peel the membrane off the back first. That serves no purpose and it just makes the meat draw up and become kind of tough. The dry rub, seasonings, or what have you don't get to penetrate through it to the meat. Get rid of it.

I just season them with dry rub, some sliced onion, green pepper and celery along with some liquid smoke, put them on a rack either in a half sheet pan, roaster or my Rival BBQ Pit Slow Cooker and slow cook them for about 7 to 8 hours.

If using the oven, cover loosely with foil, set the temp to the lowest possible setting. Put some water on the bottom of the pan to avoid the smoking and burning of any fat that might collect there. The best time to do this is before you go to bed at night and let them go for themselves!

Wake up the next morning to tender juicy fall-off-the-bone ribs!! I've been doing it this way for the last four Fourth of Julys, and to me, this is the best way to do it.

Trust me, it'll work everytime. If you don't have an outdoor BBQ grill, use some liquid smoke to get that real down-home authentic smoky flavor and taste. That's all there is to it!!

Put the BBQ sauce on last to avoid burning the ribs, thus it has a high-sugar content which can burn very easily.

~Corey123.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:03 AM   #28
Head Chef

Breezy, I'm with you on the ribs for family cooking and you are so right, they turn out great.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:34 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

thanks folks

I found this thread through a google search....

Long story short I rubbed and baked the ribs for 2 hours at 250 and finished them with more rub them a trip to the grill for about 1/2 hour bone side down and 15 minutes meat side down.

Best ribs I've ever made.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Scott in STL MO
Old 10-09-2006, 11:01 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
I am a happy simmerer too Breezy!! I have never cooked ribs on the BBQ though, would make too much icky sticky mess IMO , so they are always done in the oven on a rack or in an oven bag. Yup. An oven bag!!

So, I simmer ribs for 10 to 15 mins, drain, put into oven and last 20 mins add the sauce which is most often a Chinese type with Hoisin, garlic, ginger, honey, dry sherry ( or Chinese rice wine) a pinch of 5 spice, tomato sauce ( ketchup) and a slosh of vinegar.
If cooked in the bag, I marinate for a couple of hours after simmering and then drain off most of the sauce before tying bag off and cooking. The sauce then gets cooked seperately for adding to ribs later with a scattering of chopped spring onions.

It is interesting to see the length of time most of you cook the ribs. Hmmmm. I wonder if our Kiwi swine are naturally more tender ( insert tongue in cheek smiley here) because mine need no longer than 40 minutes after the simmer! Im saving heaps on gas/power then.