"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 06-15-2007, 08:34 PM   #11
Head Chef

Hmm, two pork butts in cryovac. I didn't think of that. Even a 10 lb pork butt ginormous. Usually I see them six to eight lbs. I figured you have a whole pork shoulder (front leg or "arm"). Usually around here about the top third is sold as a boston butt and incudes the shoulder blade and i think the ball and socket. Below that is what would roughly correspond to our bicep and sold around here as a picnic roast and is a little less expensive. Because 20 lbs is alot for even a whole shoulder you might even be able to get some hocks out of it.
Look here and put your cursor over the words shoulder butt and picnic shoulder. If I was going break it down myself I'd try to divide the two sections mentioned using a hack saw to cut the bone. If you have a hunter in the family or the neighborhood, he might be quite a bit of help with this. Truthfully, I wouldn't do it myself. I take it to the butcher or grocer I bought it from and ask them to do it for me expecting it to be a free service. They would probably be willing to grind some of it for you as well if you ask nice.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Are you sure it's just a Boston Butt? 20 pounds is incredibly large for that cut. Might be more than just the BB.

If so, yeah, 2 10 pounders is the way to go. A 20 pounder is too large...you would have to smoke it so long that you would ruin part of the cut.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:17 PM   #13
Executive Chef

whatevcer you got, cut it into manageable size...practice your meat fabrication and knife skills. THen happy bbqing
Old 06-15-2007, 09:41 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

If it's all one piece, it may be a whole butt-picnic combination. That will work if you cut it up.

I wuold expect cooking time to run about 1.5 hours per pound for pulled pork which should reach an internal temperature of 195-205F.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:41 PM   #15
Cook

Send a message via AIM to swinchen Send a message via Skype™ to swinchen
hmmmm... it may be two butts. I don't know. It is in a vacuum package so I can not really see or feel a separation. I guess I will see in the morning! I will make sure to take lots of pictures.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:56 PM   #16
Cook

Send a message via AIM to swinchen Send a message via Skype™ to swinchen
ok, so I was curious... I decided to inspect the meat in the package. It seems that there is a great deal of symmetry in the bone structure between the two sides of the meat. Also on the fat side there are strips of flesh that are very symmetric. I am really leaning towards two butts. The label says "Fresh Pork Butt"

Also, I was wrong.. it is 18 lbs. The other package at the store was 20 lbs.

Also, is $1.40/lb a good deal? The IGA down the street has wicked packages of meat... like 3 racks of ribs all vacuum packed together, things like that.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Swinchen...

Maybe you open it up tonight...see what you got. Then while you have it out, put a good 'rub' on it. Put it back in the frig overnite. Take it out in the morning and let it come to room temp. before going to the fire.

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:12 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I bet you do have 2 butts in that package!! I buy them here like that. You could wrap and freeze one of them without smoking it; unless you want to do that. $1.40 a lb. is a very good price!
Old 06-16-2007, 12:56 AM   #19
Head Chef

I expect Uncle Bob and others are right about two butts in a bag, but thought a comment on the freezing and price per pound questions worth comment, while we are on the subject.

I make these things exclusively for pulled pork and use it in sandwiches, tacos, tamales etc. I don't like to freeze the pulled (shredded) meat. I freeze whole hunks of pork, in single use quantities, wrapped tightly in plastic, frozen separately. and then stored in freezer bags. It thaws, heats in the microwave and then easily shreds with no noticeable damage to my coarse palate.

There may be many reasons why $1.40/lb is a good price for the cryovac pork butts, but they are just a few of many mysteries to me. I try to buy them when they go on sale for 99 cents a pound. I'm guessing that happens four or five times a year in each of the big chain groceries around here. If there is a reason that justifies the price difference, I hope someone shares it.

Thanks for starting the thread swinchen.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:02 AM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

I can usually get my butts for 1.19 or .99. When I make pulled pork, I don't shred it all up. Leaving hunks if not eaten, I freeze . Works out well.