"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 09-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Cooking with Rum

I went on vacation recently and I've got a little too much rum leftover. I'm hoping to find some great ways to use it up, and I'd like to stay away from baking and desserts, if possible.

Does anyone have any great recipes for using rum as a marinade, or as a sauce? I'm leaning towards grilling, but I think that a frying pan would be fine for anything that I want to cook.

For some reason, ham and pineapple sound like they'd take on a rum flavor well. I'm up for other suggestions too.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Executive Chef

White, amber or dark?

Old 09-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
Master Chef

Ive been marinating fresh pineapple slices in dark rum, brown sugar and gochujang all summer.

While I've been serving it as a dessert with vanilla ice cream and some of the marinade drizzed on top, I'm going to experiment with chicken and pineapple kebabs this weekend with dark rum, gochujang, Korean soy sauce and garlic.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Ive been marinating fresh pineapple slices in dark rum, brown sugar and gochujang all summer.

While I've been serving it as a dessert with vanilla ice cream and some of the marinade drizzed on top, I'm going to experiment with chicken and pineapple kebabs this weekend with dark rum, gochujang, Korean soy sauce and garlic.
Oh wow...that pineapple sounds delish Jenny! I adore grilled pineapple. At first I thought that you were marinating it all summer. I'll try it for a couple hours.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Oh wow...that pineapple sounds delish Jenny! I adore grilled pineapple. At first I thought that you were marinating it all summer. I'll try it for a couple hours.

BWAH!!! I need to play more attention to sentence construction!!

Its really good actually. The gochujang adds heat, a bit of sweet and salt and umami
Old 09-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
BWAH!!! I need to play more attention to sentence construction!!

Its really good actually. The gochujang adds heat, a bit of sweet and salt and umami
I finally found the Gochujang after your recommendation Jenny. We're both sold on the flavor of that stuff...wow!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchrisin View Post
I went on vacation recently and I've got a little too much rum leftover. I'm hoping to find some great ways to use it up, and I'd like to stay away from baking and desserts, if possible.

Does anyone have any great recipes for using rum as a marinade, or as a sauce? I'm leaning towards grilling, but I think that a frying pan would be fine for anything that I want to cook.

For some reason, ham and pineapple sound like they'd take on a rum flavor well. I'm up for other suggestions too.
I put it in the custard for trifle but if you want meat this should hit the spot

Caribbean BBQ Sauce recipe - All recipes UK
Old 09-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
All summer huh? Have you been sipping that rum instead of using it for a marinade? And not all summer!
Old 09-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

it's great to add to a caribbean style brine for pork chops.

try a mix of dark rum, bay leaves, lots of garlic, some citrus, salt, sugar, allspice, and cloves, then marinate the pork chops (loin or sirloin end) overnight.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:42 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
White, amber or dark?
Amber :)

Tags
cook, cooking