I seriously cannot grill a steak without destroying it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best steak you can make is pan seared, 3-5 minutes per side. On the grill is still classic as well, normally cooking 5 minutes on each side for a medium well on high heat. This is what I would do with a normal 1.5" steak. I also do not believe in marinading a steak unless its for fajitas or something of that nature.

I'm sorry, but your statement has bene bothering me. Now don't get me wrong, I agree that a pan seared steak, cooked over relatively high heat for between 3 to 5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness, fat content, etc., makes a very good steak, there are others who prefer a steak that has been quickly seared and finished in the oven. I love a grilled steak over charcoal.

My Dad used to say things like what you said, "Now your best this or that is this or that." What he should have said was "In my opinion...", or "My favorite way of cooking this is...".

You just can't make blanket statements because everybody's tastes are different. What is perfect for you may not be for someone else. For instance, the best beverage to accompany steak is milk.

That statement is obviously not correct for everybody. It is for me. But others love a cold beer with steak, or a glass of wine, or maybe some kind of fruity drink.

Be careful any time you are tempted to say "The best ? is ?". Often times, this will ellicit strong disagreements, even arguments. Always realize that the best for you is the best for you, as far as your personal experience has shown you. It may even be that sometime in the future, somebody might give you a steak prepared in a way that you have never heard of or imagined, and that you find absolutely incredible. And again, I'm not attacking you. I just have issues with absolute statements from anyone. I have learned the hard way that there are very few absolutes in this life or universe. It's always a good thing to keep an open mind. That way, you are open to new knowledge and experience.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'm sorry, but your statement has bene bothering me. Now don't get me wrong, I agree that a pan seared steak, cooked over relatively high heat for between 3 to 5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness, fat content, etc., makes a very good steak, there are others who prefer a steak that has been quickly seared and finished in the oven. I love a grilled steak over charcoal.

My Dad used to say things like what you said, "Now your best this or that is this or that." What he should have said was "In my opinion...", or "My favorite way of cooking this is...".

You just can't make blanket statements because everybody's tastes are different. What is perfect for you may not be for someone else. For instance, the best beverage to accompany steak is milk.

That statement is obviously not correct for everybody. It is for me. But others love a cold beer with steak, or a glass of wine, or maybe some kind of fruity drink.

Be careful any time you are tempted to say "The best ? is ?". Often times, this will ellicit strong disagreements, even arguments. Always realize that the best for you is the best for you, as far as your personal experience has shown you. It may even be that sometime in the future, somebody might give you a steak prepared in a way that you have never heard of or imagined, and that you find absolutely incredible. And again, I'm not attacking you. I just have issues with absolute statements from anyone. I have learned the hard way that there are very few absolutes in this life or universe. It's always a good thing to keep an open mind. That way, you are open to new knowledge and experience.

Can I use that as my sig, or is it too long?

When I read "The best" type statements like the one you are talking about GW, I always read it as if the "My opinion is" implied as it seems fairly obvious that with something subjective like taste there is no such that as "The best..." so by default it must be the persons opinion.

When I read "The best" type statements like the one you are talking about GW, I always read it as if the "My opinion is" implied as it seems fairly obvious that with something subjective like taste there is no such that as "The best..." so by default it must be the persons opinion.

When I read, "the best (steak) you can make is....."
I read it as, "the best (steak) I can make is......"

:LOL:

I love a grilled steak over charcoal.

I'm sorry, but your statement has been bothering me.

Your steak is the liver in Portnoy's Complaint? While your 'loving' your steak do your feet get warm?

:ROFLMAO:

I too find the most enjoyable steaks are those which have been grilled over charcoal.

But I'm not loving them. ;)

Point taken?

Point is taken. Believe me when I say that I wasn't trying to be disrespectful. I was merely stating that there are those (it seems like me:blush:) that can and do misread written intent. So, to be on the safe side, just use a qualifier. Didn't mean to start a ruckus. In fact, I was trying to help others avoid one.

Anyways, I get the point so I'll shut up now.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

It may just be me .. but the actual cooking of the steak over fire ..
with some potatoes wrapped in foil and some silver queen ready to go on
is what eating a steak is about .. i never order steak when i go out ..
i to much enjoy the whole thing .. now if i can get it a perfect(for me)
med rare .. great .. if not .. i have suffered through worse ..

mmmm, I can't wait until corn comes back in season again..... in July :(

It may just be me .. but the actual cooking of the steak over fire ..
with some potatoes wrapped in foil and some silver queen ready to go on
is what eating a steak is about .. i never order steak when i go out ..
i to much enjoy the whole thing .. now if i can get it a perfect(for me)
med rare .. great .. if not .. i have suffered through worse ..

A bad steak cooked at home is better than a good steak eating out.

IMHO. lol

IMHO. lol

I could not agree more ... not to mention ..
the look on DW face when she comes pon this wondering what
she has entered into is great ...

IMHO. lol

i couldn't disagree more, jeeks. restaurants often get the better cuts of meat. ones that you can't get at home, so a good steak in a restaurant is a treat. a great one can even make up for bad service.

add...:ermm:

I'm with jeeks in this one. My latitude is a lot more tolerant for how I like it done when I'm cooking it myself, or at a friend's for a barbeque and they're cooking it.
It's the whole spirit of the thing.

Although I must admit that on those rare occassions when I have ordered steak out, I was never disapointed.

A bad steak is a bad steak no matter where it is cooked. A great steak is a great steak no matter where it is cooked.

i couldn't disagree more, jeeks. restaurants often get the better cuts of meat. ones that you can't get at home,

You can get those "cuts" at home. Just not from a box store. And you have to be ready to pay for it. By 'it' I mean the aging.

When I was a kid meat was transported in sides hanging in a reefer and stored in sides hanging in the butcher shop cooler. Granted it was not a 4 week aging but it was something more than meat stuck in a cyropack minutes after the cow is killed.

I've been thinking of aging some beef myself. Giving it a shot and seeing what happens.

wart, i'm too much of an el cheapo. i buy the best i can, but only on sale in the supermarket. occasionally from a butcher. i won't pay over 8 or 9 bucks a pound. at that point, i'll go to a place that specializes in steak.

there's a restaurant in the 50's near 5th ave (i'm not exactly sure of the block) that i go past on my way over to our morning news studio that has a small window from the street looking into their meat aging room. it makes me so hungry for a hunk of bloody meat every time i skate by that i have to stop and look in.
the sidewalk there is always slippery with drool...

wart, i'm too much of an el cheapo.

I have no idea what you mean. :rolleyes:

occasionally from a butcher. i won't pay over 8 or 9 bucks a pound. ...

My butcher sells aged beef .... $20 a pound.

Thinking of paying that much just gave me a chill.

I figure I can get a tenderloin and age it myself with an overall cost of $12~$15 a pound. Some day.

has a small window from the street looking into their meat aging room.

Does this window have bars?

Is it big enough to crawl through?

;)

We have a few local meat growers in our area that produce very good beef. Next year, I'm just going to have to break down and purchase a quarter cow. The last time I did that, I had most of the meat cut into steaks. It didn't matter whether it was from the tenderloind, or the heel, it all sold for $1.50 per pound. And the flavor and quality was High-end USDA choice, or maybe even prime. We have no USDA inspectors around her, but I know it beat anything I could purchase from a supermarket hands down.

In San Diego area (El Cajon, and Santee to be exact), there are a couple of meat markets run by an outfit called Iowa Meat Farms Outlet. The meat there, at least when I lived there, was outstanding and near the same price as in the supermarkets. Every time I visit my In-Laws in El Cajon, we stop by there and get some beef.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom