"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 03-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Mikey View Post
The best steak you can make is pan seared, 3-5 minutes per side. On the grill is still classic as well, normally cooking 5 minutes on each side for a medium well on high heat. This is what I would do with a normal 1.5" steak. I also do not believe in marinading a steak unless its for fajitas or something of that nature.
I'm sorry, but your statement has bene bothering me. Now don't get me wrong, I agree that a pan seared steak, cooked over relatively high heat for between 3 to 5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness, fat content, etc., makes a very good steak, there are others who prefer a steak that has been quickly seared and finished in the oven. I love a grilled steak over charcoal.

My Dad used to say things like what you said, "Now your best this or that is this or that." What he should have said was "In my opinion...", or "My favorite way of cooking this is...".

You just can't make blanket statements because everybody's tastes are different. What is perfect for you may not be for someone else. For instance, the best beverage to accompany steak is milk.

That statement is obviously not correct for everybody. It is for me. But others love a cold beer with steak, or a glass of wine, or maybe some kind of fruity drink.

Be careful any time you are tempted to say "The best ? is ?". Often times, this will ellicit strong disagreements, even arguments. Always realize that the best for you is the best for you, as far as your personal experience has shown you. It may even be that sometime in the future, somebody might give you a steak prepared in a way that you have never heard of or imagined, and that you find absolutely incredible. And again, I'm not attacking you. I just have issues with absolute statements from anyone. I have learned the hard way that there are very few absolutes in this life or universe. It's always a good thing to keep an open mind. That way, you are open to new knowledge and experience.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
I'm sorry, but your statement has bene bothering me. Now don't get me wrong, I agree that a pan seared steak, cooked over relatively high heat for between 3 to 5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness, fat content, etc., makes a very good steak, there are others who prefer a steak that has been quickly seared and finished in the oven. I love a grilled steak over charcoal.

My Dad used to say things like what you said, "Now your best this or that is this or that." What he should have said was "In my opinion...", or "My favorite way of cooking this is...".

You just can't make blanket statements because everybody's tastes are different. What is perfect for you may not be for someone else. For instance, the best beverage to accompany steak is milk.

That statement is obviously not correct for everybody. It is for me. But others love a cold beer with steak, or a glass of wine, or maybe some kind of fruity drink.

Be careful any time you are tempted to say "The best ? is ?". Often times, this will ellicit strong disagreements, even arguments. Always realize that the best for you is the best for you, as far as your personal experience has shown you. It may even be that sometime in the future, somebody might give you a steak prepared in a way that you have never heard of or imagined, and that you find absolutely incredible. And again, I'm not attacking you. I just have issues with absolute statements from anyone. I have learned the hard way that there are very few absolutes in this life or universe. It's always a good thing to keep an open mind. That way, you are open to new knowledge and experience.

Can I use that as my sig, or is it too long?

Old 03-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Can I use that as my sig, or is it too long?
now dont' get Bucky going on the length of my posts. I'm not generally known for short posts. Depending on how you look at it, it's a gift, or a curse.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 03-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
now dont' get Bucky going on the length of my posts. I'm not generally known for short posts. Depending on how you look at it, it's a gift, or a curse.

He has ADD.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #45
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:

When I read "The best" type statements like the one you are talking about GW, I always read it as if the "My opinion is" implied as it seems fairly obvious that with something subjective like taste there is no such that as "The best..." so by default it must be the persons opinion.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
When I read "The best" type statements like the one you are talking about GW, I always read it as if the "My opinion is" implied as it seems fairly obvious that with something subjective like taste there is no such that as "The best..." so by default it must be the persons opinion.
When I read, "the best (steak) you can make is....."
I read it as, "the best (steak) I can make is......"

Old 03-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #47
Sous Chef

Quote:
I love a grilled steak over charcoal.
I'm sorry, but your statement has been bothering me.

Your steak is the liver in Portnoy's Complaint? While your 'loving' your steak do your feet get warm?

I too find the most enjoyable steaks are those which have been grilled over charcoal.

But I'm not loving them. ;)

Point taken?
Old 03-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #48
Master Chef

Point is taken. Believe me when I say that I wasn't trying to be disrespectful. I was merely stating that there are those (it seems like me) that can and do misread written intent. So, to be on the safe side, just use a qualifier. Didn't mean to start a ruckus. In fact, I was trying to help others avoid one.

Anyways, I get the point so I'll shut up now.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Old 03-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #49
Head Chef

It may just be me .. but the actual cooking of the steak over fire ..
with some potatoes wrapped in foil and some silver queen ready to go on
is what eating a steak is about .. i never order steak when i go out ..
i to much enjoy the whole thing .. now if i can get it a perfect(for me)
med rare .. great .. if not .. i have suffered through worse ..
Old 03-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

mmmm, I can't wait until corn comes back in season again..... in July