Perfect grilled pork chops.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the nice words RB. I season the lamb chops with Herbs de Provence, garlic powder and S&P. I use a screaming hot CI skillet and since the chops are 2" thick, I cook them on the five sides (bone, both sides, top and bottom) to rare/med rare.

Sounds great. I saw how thick they were last time I was in Costco. Even had a package in my hand. But I put it back.

I figured you for rare to medium rare. Thanks for the post and picture.
I actually am certain now, lamb chops are in my near future. ;)

Cat, you probably know that traditionally people have thought of food in terms of four flavors: sweet, sour, salty and bitter. In the early 1900s, a Japanese scientist identified a fifth flavor: umami. It means savory and makes your mouth water :yum: Think about the flavor in a long-cooked beef stew or a crispy piece of roasted chicken skin.

Umami flavor can be heightened by using certain ingredients that contain a large amount of the chemicals that give foods this savory flavor. These ingredients include Parmesan cheese, mushrooms, red wine and anchovies, among others.

So a small amount of anchovy paste spread on pork chops that will then be grilled will increase the savory, umami flavor but you won't taste the anchovy itself.

This is a pretty new idea in cooking. I've been reading "Cooks Illustrated," a magazine written by the staff of America's Test Kitchen, for over a decade and for the past couple of years, many of their recipes have included techniques like this to enhance flavor.

Oh I didn't know of this! Then I must try this! I didn't know these flavors would be so different.

Now this sounds very good. I'll try this, and thank you for correcting me!

With love,
~Cat

Oh I didn't know of this! Then I must try this! I didn't know these flavors would be so different.

Now this sounds very good. I'll try this, and thank you for correcting me!

With love,
~Cat

GG is very good at explaining things Cat. I bet you will enjoy this new adventure in cooking. It was not heard of when I was your age, and new to cooking. ;)
Wait a minute, I read it was discovered in 1900. I'm not really that old, but I never heard of it at your age. lol

Last edited:
GG is very good at explaining things Cat. I bet you will enjoy this new adventure in cooking. It was not heard of when I was your age, and new to cooking. ;)
Wait a minute, I read it was discovered in 1900. I'm not really that old, but I never heard of it at your age. lol

I have the fortunate advantage of being younger and learning all these new and different things now in my life. And it's best to learn now, before I start a family and start poisoning people. That looks very bad upon a resume.

And you aren't old! GG is indeed very good at explaining things.

With love,
~Cat

I posted this at tonight's dinner thread but thought I'd better put it here too, lest I get in trouble. ;)

I have a couple of beautiful big thick loin pork chops in brine and I'll be doing them outside on the hot grill as instructed by America's Test Kitchen. You mix together
1 1/2 tsp. honey
1 tsp. anchovy paste
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbs. oil
brush mixture on chops and grill with spectacular results. They always have beautiful grill marks without over cooking them. They should test with an instant read thermometer at 145 degrees, and rest covered for 5-10 minutes.

I bet boneless skinless chicken breasts (so hard to grill to perfection) would do equally well, although they should test at 165 degrees.

Hey Kay, are you just brushing onto the chops once, while raw? No marinating, no additional brushing as they cook?

Hey Kay, are you just brushing onto the chops once, while raw? No marinating, no additional brushing as they cook?

Yep, just brush it on once on each side just before putting them on the grill. Remember it's important to have brined, rinsed and dried them first.

Last edited:
Yep, just brush it on once on each side just before putting them on the grill. Remember it's important to have brined, rinsed and dried them first.

Brine? :huh:
Oh yeah... you did say brine...
OK, give me a quick brine recipe and time for one chop :chef:

Thanks, RJ.
That'll be my brine then.
And I'm glad you didn't say to brine for six hours, or I wouldn't be having pork chops tonight, lol.

Thanks, RJ.
That'll be my brine then.
And I'm glad you didn't say to brine for six hours, or I wouldn't be having pork chops tonight, lol.

You're welcome pac. Let us know how it turns out. It definitely keeps the chop juicy and tender, but I find that it seems to change the texture of the meat which I wasn't that fond of. Could be just me.

You're welcome pac. Let us know how it turns out. It definitely keeps the chop juicy and tender, but I find that it seems to change the texture of the meat which I wasn't that fond of. Could be just me.

I'll let you know... Monday now.
I decided to go with something else for dinner tonight, but that beautiful 1-1/2" chop will be awaiting me in a couple nights :yum:
It will be the first time I've brined anything, not counting dry brining a steak now and then. I just never felt a need to brine for juiciness. I do recall grilling extra thick pork chops years ago and having them a wee bit dry though... which is the reason I started favoring chops 1/2" or thinner.
We shall see.

I'll let you know... Monday now.
I decided to go with something else for dinner tonight, but that beautiful 1-1/2" chop will be awaiting me in a couple nights :yum:
It will be the first time I've brined anything, not counting dry brining a steak now and then. I just never felt a need to brine for juiciness. I do recall grilling extra thick pork chops years ago and having them a wee bit dry though... which is the reason I started favoring chops 1/2" or thinner.
We shall see.

Hope I'm stating the obvious Pac, but you need to rinse the brine off of that gorgeous chop before you store it for Monday's dinner.

Hope I'm stating the obvious Pac, but you need to rinse the brine off of that gorgeous chop before you store it for Monday's dinner.

Not obvious at all. Repetitive ;)
You said to rinse and pat dry earlier. I'm on it, Kay... Monday :chef:
I made up the anchovy paste a week ago, so I've got all I need.

Your brine worked out perfectly, RJ.
And it did change the texture, but in a good way (for me). Almost like a filet mingnon. Not just juicy, but also tender. In spite of me liking thick pork cooked to 165F or so.

Good glaze, too. Very subtle. Had a little *something*, which I'll assume is this umami I've read about :rolleyes:

So glad to read your report this morning Pac! I've been nervous about you liking the recipe/method as much as I do. All kidding aside, I always value your honest opinions.

Your brine worked out perfectly, RJ.
And it did change the texture, but in a good way (for me). Almost like a filet mingnon. Not just juicy, but also tender. In spite of me liking thick pork cooked to 165F or so.

Good glaze, too. Very subtle. Had a little *something*, which I'll assume is this umami I've read about :rolleyes:

Glad it worked out to your liking Pac.

Brining works well; I would recommend at least 8 hours for a really thick chop. However just doing a dry brine ie coat the item heavily with salt works about as well. Salt the crap out of it and leave it in the fridge for around 8 hours/overnight, then brush off any salt that hasn't been wicked into the meat.

Back
Top Bottom