"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 04-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #31
Master Chef

I also consider a musical instrument and you voice to be an important bit of campfire equipment. Unfortunately hubby and I are not musically inclined. Daddy used to play the accordion, sis the guitar. On the road we ran into musicians around the fire. We'd grab a bottle of wine or six-pack to share, gather around their fire, and enjoy. This is where tent camping has it all over RV camping. People stay more to themselves in RVs, and are much more llikely to socialize in tents. I'll never forget waking up one morning to take my walk in Kentucky, and hearing a soaring, stage quality voice belting out "Oh! What a Beautiful Morning". Daddy trying to be modern (circa 1972) by learning "Hey, Jude" on the accordion (and yes, a bunch of hippies grabbed their jugs of wine and gathered around our fire to sing along ... the Beatles were a huge hit, but he also had a repetoir of folk music that went over well). Comaraderie is the best part of camping.

Old 04-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #32
Master Chef

Okay - this is "small potatoes" camping, but my husband & I did 3 weeks of camping in upstate NY (& hit the NYS Fair in the process), & we dined pretty ****ed well.

Had a 2-burner propane stove + cans; non-stick skillets & a few other small pots & pans, & 2 big Coleman coolers.

We had bacon & eggs or cheese omelettes for breakfast every morning - & you-name-it for dinner every night. I made everything from turkey burgers to Turkey Piccata & a lot of good stuff inbetween.

There's no reason why you have to eat horrid "camp food". If you have coolers & have places to stop for ice & fresh provisions, you can not only enjoy the stars & the water, but enjoy them with Chicken Marsala under your belt as well - lol!!!

Old 04-11-2006, 03:09 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

agreed breezy. cooking over an open fire, and enjoying good food under the stars is half the fun.

whenever i go backpacking, the first day out is always the worst.

my pack has been known to weigh upwards of 150lbs + when we start out, including a soft cooler full of beer and marinated steaks, pre-baked spuds wrapped in foil, corn in the husks, and cans o' beans.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:36 AM   #34
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
This is where tent camping has it all over RV camping. People stay more to themselves in RVs, and are much more llikely to socialize in tents. .
please don't lump us all together. Our RV is a restored vintage model which actully attracts people to our camp site. After the interior tour they will gather outside around the camp fire. During a heavy rain or if temps are below zero we do tend to stay indoors and of course we get to sleep on comfortable beds. However, almost all of our cooking is done outside over the fire. We have a new three burner range which rarely gets used. One luxury I do use inside is my counter installed NU-Tone Food Center, what a great thing to have for meal preparations while camping.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:52 AM   #35
Executive Chef

camp fire cooking...a large campfire dutch oven (little legs and griddle lid) 12-15 qt., a small dutch oven 5 qt, a cast iron skillet 12", and a double hibachi. sometimes I'll put the grills on the camp fire, sometimes I'll put some of the fire into the hibacchi. If I can't cook a great meal with that, I need to go home!
Old 04-14-2006, 05:11 AM   #36
Master Chef

Oh, it isn't that we didn't run into a lot of friendly people and make a lot of impromptu freinds. In three years we had a lot of good times am met a lot of wonderful people. I think the most discouraging thing was that we often found ourself driven into the camper by the fumes and noise of people who would run their diesel rigs for a half hour, usually just when we were settling down to a cup of coffee in the morning, or dinner or drinks in the evening. But we never lacked for company on holidays, sometimes had people come look for us from camp site to camp site, ran into some of the most fascinating and diverse personalities. Everyone was willing to help out with problems. I wouldn't dream of full-timing in a tent. In full-timing, though, we did run into a lot of people who were destination-oriented and irritable I guess, too, that I tent-camped in a different era from when we full-timed, so my memories are llike most good memories from years past. We loved our time on the road. Wouldn't do it again, but will always think of it fondly.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:51 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

Has anyone ever cooked cornbread in an electric skillet? We are going camping and I was just wondering
Old 07-29-2006, 09:05 AM   #38
Cook

The electric skillet will not pass the muster as a campground ccoking utensil. You can cook your corn bread in a cast iron skillet, dutch oven, or even pie irons right over the fire for a real camping experience.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:09 AM   #39
Assistant Cook

A heavy duty grate to go over the fireplace you have built with river stones from the creek next to your tent. Then there is the dutch oven for baking cobblers with the freshly picked wild blueberries on the hillside you hiked on. A pair of channel lock pliers to remove the grate, the cast iron griddle or the top of the dutch oven.
A cast iron griddle to cook the bacon or sausage and then the pancakes that the kids make by drizzling the batter in shapes.
A lightweight non-stick aluminum saute pan with a folding handle for the morning omelettes.
A set of long handled cook tools gathered together in a homemade drawstring denim bag.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:21 AM   #40
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi820
Has anyone ever cooked cornbread in an electric skillet? We are going camping and I was just wondering
Sorry, I never have. As far as I'm concerned, cornbread is meant to be cooked in cast iron.