Campfire Spare Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
Pork Spare Ribs dry rubbed about 2 hours in advance. Slowly cooked over the Campfire for about 6 hours...They were truly "bacon on a stick"

Sweet. They look done well :chef:
But what I don't understand is why this thread hasn't appeared until now for me :( It was the inspiration I needed to get into the store and get a big slab of ribs today! :-p

I love your camp grill. Did you make that? We love to cook over the fire and are in the process of coming up with something like that. ........the fire pit is in and we have enjoyed a few fires....Love your view:wub: Would you share your rub???

I love your camp grill. Did you make that? We love to cook over the fire and are in the process of coming up with something like that. ........the fire pit is in and we have enjoyed a few fires....Love your view:wub: Would you share your rub???

The "grill" is the only thing that was not "homemade"...I want to say I bought it at Bass Pro Shop....The rod that came with it was very short, and was fine for just grilling. I wanted something a little more versatile so I made one longer....

A rub?...I don't have a set recipe per se...I usually reach for things like, Paprika (smoked if you have it) Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder. Ground (in a coffee/spice mill) Thyme, Oregano, Allspice and Coriander. A good grade of Chili Powder, and a dry mustard is also good. A very small amount of cinnamon is interesting at times... Salt.. I add to taste before or after the rub goes on. Sugar.. I rarely use due to it being easily burned/blackeded during long cooking times and/or high temperatures. When I do choose to use a little sugar it is always Turbinado Sugar which for me does not burn/blacken as quickly, and I like the delicate molasses flavor it has. So a rub can be any of the dry herbs, and spices that you like tailored to your personal taste. Start with the basic things you like, and go from there keeping in mind that seasonings may change when exposed to heat, and their reaction to the meat being rubbed. The flavor of the finished product may not be the same as the raw rub you started with...Just experiment and...

Have Fun!

uncle bob, those look fantastic!!!

with much advice over the past year or two from you and elfie, i made my best spare ribs to date last week.

i mean, i cheated compared to your standards by only grilling them low for an hour, then finishing them in a crock pot, but they were great. thanks for all of your help and inspiration.

now i want ribs again.

Thanks BT, and Congratulations on your Best Spare Ribs to Date!! That's always the bottom line...You and the family enjoyed them!! Next time, if time permits, try grilling for a while, then go to the oven to finish...or start in the oven for 2 or 3 hours at 200 to 250 then finish on the grill and lay on a little smoke flavor.

Have Fun!!

thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

"Oh yah babe" :LOL: As Emeril Lagassi would say. That slab of ribs look yummy. Can I go with you on your next campfire outing? Hee! Hee!

Back
Top Bottom