Dry White Wine Substitute?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMHO, so called "cooking wine" should not be an option for anyone, as it is the lowest quality wine with lots of salt added, and for what you are buying is VERY expensive.

Yes, to be honest, I've never tried the stuff. I just thought it might fit the limitations mentioned and in some cases be the best available substitute.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice and comments!
I am confused why I would replace wine with chicken broth (especially when its a chicken based dish?)

I think the cook who was teaching this recipe threw in the wine because he liked to drink so it was an excuse to swig away during the class!

Thanks Uncle Bob!

You're Welcome Fulljeff --- Don't let the Chicken stock substitution confuse you in a Chicken based dish...Chicken broth is just a good substitution for white wine in most any dish...In this case it just happened your recipe was a chicken dish...It replaces the liquid, and adds a little flavor. Water would work just as well....Take em on a long hike, before you eat --- they'll be so tired and hungry they want care what's in it!!:LOL:

Have Fun!!!

Thanks for all the advice and comments!
I am confused why I would replace wine with chicken broth (especially when its a chicken based dish?)

I think the cook who was teaching this recipe threw in the wine because he liked to drink so it was an excuse to swig away during the class!

In this case, as UB mentioned, you are just looking for the liquid. There is a different taste with wine, but, it won't hurt your recipe. And if one of them says "hey, this really would have been great with a splash of white wine" - - - well, you've got your hands full! :LOL:

Why not just take about 2/3 cup of dry white wine and boil out the alcohol prior to the trip?. Personally, I don't think there is a good substitute for wine in a wine sauce.

Why not just take about 2/3 cup of dry white wine and boil out the alcohol prior to the trip?. Personally, I don't think there is a good substitute for wine in a wine sauce.
You would have to boil the alcohol for a very long time to get rid of the alcohol. Contrary to popular believe, alcohol does not "cook out" the way most people think. See my post #12 for a chart which shows this more clearly.

In this case, as UB mentioned, you are just looking for the liquid. There is a different taste with wine, but, it won't hurt your recipe. And if one of them says "hey, this really would have been great with a splash of white wine" - - - well, you've got your hands full! :LOL:

Thanks. I am precise with my DO cooking and hate to deviate. Its good to better understand how ingredients work. I was thinking that the wine was the ingredient that made the dish "pop", glad to see its not. For me, mediocrity in my DO cooking is unacceptable with all the time and money you put into it. I didn't want to go through everything and end up with a dud. (When I cook it is for groups, maybe I should get some smaller DO's and cut recipes in half for my family. My wife would love that!)

I have a group of 14 - 15 year olds so if I did ever hear that comment I think I would have to call a parent!

If this is correct, and I wanted an alcohol free dish, I would not even try to make a wine sauce by substituting something else for the wine.

Something important to think of when making substitution for alcohol in recipes is why is the alcohol there in the first place. Alcohol can be there for its own flavor, but it can also be there to bring out the flavor of other things. Flavors are either water, fat, or alcohol soluble. What that means is some flavors only come out in the presence of alcohol. Pasta with vodka sauce is an example of that. The vodka brings out a flavor in the tomatoes that would not be present if there was no alcohol. In cases like that there is no point substituting anything as it will not work right. In the above dish the wine is there for its own flavor so the dish can still work without it. It might not be the same, but it can still work.

Sometimes cooking with wine in cast iron will give the food a minerally taste from the iron.

Again, I'd just sub chicken broth here. You'll need to make up for the liquid in the recipe, so sub -- dont just leave it out.

If this is correct, and I wanted an alcohol free dish, I would not even try to make a wine sauce by substituting something else for the wine.

The alcohol NEVER completely cooks out. There will always be some residue, which could be enough to throw a recovering Alcoholic off the wagon.

I don't know about you, but I couldn't live with myself if I were in any way responsible for that.

Your resulting dish may be a bit different, but there is no reason it cannot be delicious.

OTOH, I never prepare Boeuf Bourguignon for my brother in law, who is 15 years sober. There are too many delicious beef stews that don't have wine in the title, and don't have wine as a necessary ingredient.

For the OP, who is responsible for a bunch of minors on this camping trip, I would not get close to anything alcoholic. Way too many risks involved.

Sometimes cooking with wine in cast iron will give the food a minerally taste from the iron.

Again, I'd just sub chicken broth here. You'll need to make up for the liquid in the recipe, so sub -- dont just leave it out.

Great point, thank you! Another reason not to cook in my DO with wine.

I assume it's pricey because of the way it's made, sort of like wine without the fermentation. And there's not that much of it made.

But that's just a guess.

Back
Top Bottom