"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 10-18-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Dutch Oven versus a camp oven

I'm interested in doing more campfire cooking on my trips. Right now I just grill over the fire.
Iwas at cabelas looking at dutch ovens. They have two types I was looking. One was a "dutch" oven 12" flat bottom, it had legs and a top with a lip on it.
THe other was also 12" flat bottom, but a "camp" oven. No legs and no lip on the top.

Anyone with any insight on which I should get, etc and what the difference is in using the two?

Thanks,
Nick

Old 10-18-2005, 08:55 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

The one with the legs and lip is great for campfire cooking. The legs let you put it right in the fire and the lip let you put hot coals on top so that you have heat coming from the top and bottom.

Old 10-18-2005, 09:52 PM   #3
Executive Chef

the legged one with the lipped top has a flat inside which can be inverted and used as a griddle. I always called the legged one the camp oven and the plain one the dutch oven.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:27 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Camp Dutch Ovens are designed for use on an open fire or with hot coals from a charcoal grill. They have a flanged lid and legs. Charcoals or wood coals are placed underneath and on top to create an even bake. A must for all campers that want to enjoy more than hotdogs and hamburgers on the fire. Sizes; 10", 12", 12" deep.

Kitchen Dutch Ovens are generally used for the same reason as a Camp Dutch Oven but are used in an oven in the kitchen versus being set on coals. Kitchen Dutch Ovens come with a domed lid and no legs. Sizes; 10 1/4", 12", and 13 1/4".

Old 12-29-2005, 09:38 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

The only thing I can say is once you have cooked with a Dutch oven (either variation) you will be hooked. I use mine ( I have a few) for virtually everything I cook.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:13 AM   #6
Cook

Get one with a sturdy wire handle, do not skimp. I made a wooden box to store my dutch oven in. It is lined with burlap to absorb moisture to keep the oven from rusting while stored. I will also put a piece of burlap inside the lid to absorb any moisture inside.
You will find the dutch oven to be your favorite cooking tool for the campfire. I have developed recipes where I can put in the ingredients place the oven into the fire and then go off for a hike. When we return the food is ready.
My favorite is to layer Italian sausage, tortilla shells, I use corn, chicken pieces, more tortillas, then veggies of choice. I have used sliced potatoes, carrots, squash, onions, broccoli, tomatoes, and cauliflower. When we are camping we visit the local stands and buy whatever is fresh. Season it to be Mexican or Italian whatever your fancy of the day. Cover and place into the coals. Cover the top with red hot coals and bank up on the sides. I'll let this cook for about three hours.