"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 06-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Enchiladas

My first Dutch Oven Dish is the Enchilada meat which I will put together tomorrow after class.

I've noticed that the dutch oven cooked faster then my ci pan, Why would that be?

Here's some photo's of the Enchilada's and I will post the rest of them tomorrow.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:35 AM   #2
Master Chef

yum yum yummy!!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
yum yum yummy!!
It will be yummy, I added some Worcestershire sauce to this batch, I'm making a few test batches for the summer see which batch I like best.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
Head Chef

Derek, one of the secrets I discovered about enchiladas after I moved to Mexico is DON'T bake them for too long. In fact, the Mexicans don't bake them at all - they just fill them and serve them. This keeps the tortillas from disintegrating. Also, if you want to be authentic, it is unlikely that you will find any gooey cheese in an enchilada here, especially not cheddar, which does not exist in Mexican cooking. Maybe a little cotija, crumbled over the top (feta would be a substitute), or if it is enchiladas suiza, some swiss or manchego cheese, and they would be made with chicken and a green chile sauce. Of course, everyone should make exactly what tastes good to THEM, so don't feel compelled to stay authentic! Just thought you might be interested.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
Head Chef

Karen, thanks for the tip about not overcooking the tortillas. I hate it when they turn back into masa!

What about cheese enchiladas? Do you find them in your area of Mexico? They're certainly popular in U.S. Mexican restaurants.

It seems to me that cooking varies quite a bit from region to region of Mexico, just as it does in the the U.S.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Derek, one of the secrets I discovered about enchiladas after I moved to Mexico is DON'T bake them for too long. In fact, the Mexicans don't bake them at all - they just fill them and serve them. This keeps the tortillas from disintegrating. Also, if you want to be authentic, it is unlikely that you will find any gooey cheese in an enchilada here, especially not cheddar, which does not exist in Mexican cooking. Maybe a little cotija, crumbled over the top (feta would be a substitute), or if it is enchiladas suiza, some swiss or manchego cheese, and they would be made with chicken and a green chile sauce. Of course, everyone should make exactly what tastes good to THEM, so don't feel compelled to stay authentic! Just thought you might be interested.
Actually Karen, I have Cotija I purchased at the Mexican store, It costyed me $8.99 for like a pound of it, boy is it ever good though. I've also learned a long time ago that they turn back in to masa thank's to Alton Brown and I add other cheese because my faimly loves cheese. Thank you again for the tips Karen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
Karen, thanks for the tip about not overcooking the tortillas. I hate it when they turn back into masa!

What about cheese enchiladas? Do you find them in your area of Mexico? They're certainly popular in U.S. Mexican restaurants.

It seems to me that cooking varies quite a bit from region to region of Mexico, just as it does in the the U.S.
I agree with you Scotch, It does very from region to region!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post

If you use flour tortillas cover with sauce they turn into noodles.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Head Chef

Yes, they do have cheese enchiladas (but you have to ask for them), and they would be filled with a good melting cheese, like manchego or oaxacan, or something that is very commonly available and called asaderos.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Yes, they do have cheese enchiladas (but you have to ask for them), and they would be filled with a good melting cheese, like manchego or oaxacan, or something that is very commonly available and called asaderos.
How true is Taco Bell to some of the Mexican taco houses in Mexico?
Old 06-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
How true is Taco Bell to some of the Mexican taco houses in Mexico?
The only thing Taco Bell has in common with a Taqueria is they put meat in a tortilla.