"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Enchiladas

My first Dutch Oven Dish is the Enchilada meat which I will put together tomorrow after class.


I've noticed that the dutch oven cooked faster then my ci pan, Why would that be?


Here's some photo's of the Enchilada's and I will post the rest of them tomorrow.





__________________

__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:35 AM   #2
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,540
yum yum yummy!!
__________________

__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
yum yum yummy!!
It will be yummy, I added some Worcestershire sauce to this batch, I'm making a few test batches for the summer see which batch I like best.
__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
Head Chef
 
MexicoKaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bucerias, Nayarit, Mexico
Posts: 1,914
Derek, one of the secrets I discovered about enchiladas after I moved to Mexico is DON'T bake them for too long. In fact, the Mexicans don't bake them at all - they just fill them and serve them. This keeps the tortillas from disintegrating. Also, if you want to be authentic, it is unlikely that you will find any gooey cheese in an enchilada here, especially not cheddar, which does not exist in Mexican cooking. Maybe a little cotija, crumbled over the top (feta would be a substitute), or if it is enchiladas suiza, some swiss or manchego cheese, and they would be made with chicken and a green chile sauce. Of course, everyone should make exactly what tastes good to THEM, so don't feel compelled to stay authentic! Just thought you might be interested.
__________________
Saludos, Karen
MexicoKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
Head Chef
 
Scotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,042
Karen, thanks for the tip about not overcooking the tortillas. I hate it when they turn back into masa!

What about cheese enchiladas? Do you find them in your area of Mexico? They're certainly popular in U.S. Mexican restaurants.

It seems to me that cooking varies quite a bit from region to region of Mexico, just as it does in the the U.S.
__________________
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Derek, one of the secrets I discovered about enchiladas after I moved to Mexico is DON'T bake them for too long. In fact, the Mexicans don't bake them at all - they just fill them and serve them. This keeps the tortillas from disintegrating. Also, if you want to be authentic, it is unlikely that you will find any gooey cheese in an enchilada here, especially not cheddar, which does not exist in Mexican cooking. Maybe a little cotija, crumbled over the top (feta would be a substitute), or if it is enchiladas suiza, some swiss or manchego cheese, and they would be made with chicken and a green chile sauce. Of course, everyone should make exactly what tastes good to THEM, so don't feel compelled to stay authentic! Just thought you might be interested.
Actually Karen, I have Cotija I purchased at the Mexican store, It costyed me $8.99 for like a pound of it, boy is it ever good though. I've also learned a long time ago that they turn back in to masa thank's to Alton Brown and I add other cheese because my faimly loves cheese. Thank you again for the tips Karen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
Karen, thanks for the tip about not overcooking the tortillas. I hate it when they turn back into masa!

What about cheese enchiladas? Do you find them in your area of Mexico? They're certainly popular in U.S. Mexican restaurants.

It seems to me that cooking varies quite a bit from region to region of Mexico, just as it does in the the U.S.
I agree with you Scotch, It does very from region to region!
__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
Karen, thanks for the tip about not overcooking the tortillas. I hate it when they turn back into masa!

What about cheese enchiladas? Do you find them in your area of Mexico? They're certainly popular in U.S. Mexican restaurants.

It seems to me that cooking varies quite a bit from region to region of Mexico, just as it does in the the U.S.

If you use flour tortillas cover with sauce they turn into noodles.
__________________
PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Head Chef
 
MexicoKaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bucerias, Nayarit, Mexico
Posts: 1,914
Yes, they do have cheese enchiladas (but you have to ask for them), and they would be filled with a good melting cheese, like manchego or oaxacan, or something that is very commonly available and called asaderos.
__________________
Saludos, Karen
MexicoKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Yes, they do have cheese enchiladas (but you have to ask for them), and they would be filled with a good melting cheese, like manchego or oaxacan, or something that is very commonly available and called asaderos.
How true is Taco Bell to some of the Mexican taco houses in Mexico?
__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
Head Chef
 
powerplantop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
How true is Taco Bell to some of the Mexican taco houses in Mexico?
The only thing Taco Bell has in common with a Taqueria is they put meat in a tortilla.
__________________

__________________
My YouTube cooking channel
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.