Fish Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
We did a fish fry for my father-in-laws 80th birthday. He'd caught all of the walleye and bluegills that we cooked, so we figured it was the least we could do for him.

No real recipe was needed for this meal. We had numerous fish filets of varying sizes. We did two different "breadings". One was the traditional egg wash/flour. Just beat some eggs to incorporate the yolks and the whites. Take the filet and dip into the wash, then take it out and place it into a pan of flour. I mixed into the flour some Lowery's Seasoning Salt and some Lemon Butter Pepper. Dredge the filet with flour, shake off the excess flour and place into the oil, which should be at least 350 degrees. The second "breading" was cornmeal. Just dredge a filet in the cornmeal, which had nothing added to it, shake off the excess and drop into the oil.

I used 2 dutch ovens to do the cooking. A 10" regular, which I cooked the cornmeal filets in, and a 12" regular, which I cooked the egg wash/flour.

I did "cheat" and use my gas grill instead of coals. I did this because it would be easier to maintain a constant oil temperature while doing all of the cooking at the same time. We were going to be feeding about 18 people, so we had a lot of deep frying to do in a short time, so I wanted to make it as easy as I could.

Everything worked out great, and the fish was delicious. Hope you all try doing this sometime if you haven't already.

Attachments

• Fish Fry 4(r).jpg
    Fish Fry 4(r).jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 277
  • Fish Fry 10(r).jpg
    Fish Fry 10(r).jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 269
  • Fish Fry 8(r).jpg
    Fish Fry 8(r).jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 266
  • Fish Fry 9(r).jpg
    Fish Fry 9(r).jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 260
  • Fish Fry 20(r).jpg
    Fish Fry 20(r).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 249
Good job Garry!!! I fry fish on a weekly basis. Cast iron, and a propane cooker are my weapons of choice!!! Looks good, and I love bream.

Fun!

a local Minnesotan sold me on cracker meal years ago for fried fish and chicken strips. (I like the others too, and love Walleye!)

I like the cracker meal breading too. It gets a real nice crunch to it. I've never tried it with chicken strips. Sounds like something else I'll have to add to my list of things to try. ;)

Kellogg's Corn FLake Crumbs work real well, too. They're over with the other bread crumbs.

That looks real tasty, Gary. Good Job!

Propane's the way to go when you're frying fish because you can keep the oil up to temperature. Kim sometimes uses the flour/egg/cornmeal, but what I like best is the Zatarain's Fish Fry that he buys in gallon jars. It's a lighter coating that doesn't overwhelm the fish.
Not that I'd turn it down however you fix it. Gut it and scale it and throw it on the grill...Walleye and Blue Gill are heaven heaven in my book.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom