"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking
Old 11-13-2007, 02:16 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Maybe Nasika means that to only serve a vegetarian grilled vegetables is repetitive-type boring. We all like a bit of variety in our diets, and to only serve your friends the same ol', same ol' would be boring, irrespective of how tasty the dish in its own right may be.

Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #12
Senior Cook
Well, Nasika, how do you like all the suggestions? What vegetables do you enjoy eating? Perhaps there are ways to use them in some different ways. When my son was vegetarian for a couple of years we tried a variety of recipes, including ones using eggplant and porcini mushrooms more or less as a substitute for meat. We used to make mini pizzas substituting the porcinis for pizza crust sometimes as a variation. You can also mix up chopped vegetables into a patty and serve like a hamburger, complete with all the fixings.

Cordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #13
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by devora View Post
OMG what kind of veggies are you grilling and how are you doing to come up w/ something "boring"?? A skewer of red peppers/white onion wedges/green peppers basted w/ evoo and left on the grill long enough to begin charring around the edges is one of the reasons to get out a grill! It's pretty, fun, and oh-so tasty! A little s & p, pop a cork of something fruity, and, man, I'm in heaven.
Kinda like Vege shish kebabs?

stick some tomato on there as well
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
I do a lot of outdoor cooking for vegetarians. you could make your own veggie burgers (i'm sure I posted this before, but I'll go dig in my blog and find the recipe if I can) if you're smoking you can smoke portabellos, if you're not smoking you can make stuffed mushrooms on the grill (i like cream cheese, dill, chives, green onions) add a little liquid smoke if you're on a gas grill.

veg kababs are never a failure, and the meat eaters are usually just as excited to get their hands on them. I primarily use red peppers, mushrooms, onion, those little purple potatoes, squash, and cherry tomatoes, but do whatever you have on hand.

making a fresh pizza and cooking it over coals is a real treat for everyone.

grilled avacado is also tasty. you can also grill fruits by coating them with a little oil. peaches, bananas, pears, and apples.
aesthete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:23 PM   #15
Head Chef
I usually Grill vegetables like mushrooms, asparagus, zucchini's, onions, tomatoes... Then i add it to a bowl of pasta with garlic , oil and salt. The pasta picks up the grilled flavor and it taste great.

Also, when grilling veggie burgers, ill usually get them cooked in the oven first, then just toss them on the grill last few minutes to get the grilled flavor. Some varieties fall apart on the grill, or stick, so by pre cooking them, it usually prevents that from happening.

Marinate portabello mushrooms with garlic,olive oil ... Grill them, then last few minutes add spinach fried with garlic and oil on top and melt some mozzarella cheese on top of that . Eat on a nice roll.

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote