Butterscotch meringue pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
8 oz shortcrust pastry
4 oz light soft brown sugar
3 oz butter
1 tablespoon water
2 oz flour
0.75 pt milk
2 egg yolks
3-4 drops vanilla extract or essence

Topping
2 egg whites
3 oz caster sugar
1 level tablespoon granualted sugar

Preheat oven Mark 4 or 350F. Roll out pastry and line an 8 inch flan dish. Bake blind for about 20 minutes.

Put 1 oz butter in saucepan and add sugar and water. Gently heat until the sugar dissolved. Do not boil. Set aside to cool. In a second saucepan melt remaining butter. Add the flour and stir. Add the milk, Bring to the boil stirring well. Boil for 5 minutes. Stir in the caramelised sugar from the first saucepan. Allow sauce to cool before addign the egg yolks and vanilla Beat them in well.

Pour into the cooked pastry case. Reduce oven to Mark3 or 325F.

Topping
Whisk egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Fold in the caster sugar with a metal spoon. Pile meringue on top of pie and springle with the granulated sugar. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until meringue is pale golden.

This seems like a brilliant recipe Ishbel!! I have been forever looking for a valid recipe to make some good butterscotch filling!! (most of the "butterscotch" recipes out of the US calls for the ready-made butterscotch drops or mix!!) I will give it a try asap, thanks!!

Cheers, Licia:chef:

I forgot to say, please remember that all my recipes are Imperial measurements, not American - and there is quite a difference in some instances! There are conversion charts on some of the fora here, though!

Ishbel said:
I forgot to say, please remember that all my recipes are Imperial measurements, not American - and there is quite a difference in some instances! There are conversion charts on some of the fora here, though!
As for me no problem, I am familiar with all three measurements, I actually got pretty good at converting them back and forth quickly in my head... it takes some talent heheheh... j/k!!

Now, you're asking something.... I think I've explained, that my old, family recipes are often in avoidupois (Imperial) measurements, and newer ones are metric.... as to what measurement of a teaspoon might be..... Errrrmmm,, koff, koff.... I don't know!

I'll post my recipe just in case you don't want to convert the other.

BUTTERSCOTCH PIE

IN MICROWAVE BOWL

MIX TOGETHER

2 CUPS BROWN SUGAR

6 BEATEN EGG YOLKS

1/2 CUP CORNSTARCH MIXED INTO 4 CUPS MILK

MICROWAVE UNTIL THICK AND ADD 1 TABLESPOON VANILLA

POUR INTO BAKED PIE SHELL.

MERINGUE:

BEAT THE 6 EGG WHITES LEFT FROM THE PIE,

SLOWLY ADDING 1/3 CUP SUGAR

½ TEASPOON CREAM OF TARTER