Elastic dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MystieDawn

Assistant Cook
I am trying to make this little pocket pies with these uber cute cutouts from Williams Sonoma. Yesterday I made this with a crust recipe I always use for pies but the dough kept shrinking up. Then today I used the recipe on the cutout box. Kept shrinking up again. This is a problem because the edges won't meet and the filling comes out the side. How do I keep the dough from shrinking up (besides buying pre-made crust).

With pizza crust dough, I work the dough, stretching it out and then rest for two or three minutes until the gluten relaxes, and then work the dough into a larger circle. You might work your dough until it's larger than you need, let it set for a bit until it shrinks to the size that you need. When its done that, your sealed edges shouldn't pull loose because of shrinkage. I hope this helps.

I am trying to make this little pocket pies with these uber cute cutouts from Williams Sonoma. Yesterday I made this with a crust recipe I always use for pies but the dough kept shrinking up. Then today I used the recipe on the cutout box. Kept shrinking up again. This is a problem because the edges won't meet and the filling comes out the side. How do I keep the dough from shrinking up (besides buying pre-made crust).
are you making a pie "crust" type dough with only flour, salt, shortning/butter and water? if so it should not shrink. a yeast "dough" will shrink. what does the recipe call for a (yeast) bread dough or a pastry dough/crust?

are you making a pie "crust" type dough with only flour, salt, shortning/butter and water?

That is all I am using. The dough I used yesterday sat for 2 hours before I rolled it. I let it sit overnight and I am going to try to roll it out again today.

Back
Top Bottom