Exceptional pastry Dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I was given a great potato-yeast roll recipe by my favorite DIL (my only DIL, but hey, she'd be my favorite if there were multiples). I will list it here and then tell you what I've done with it that makes it exceptional.

Ingredients:
1 lb. potatoes (approx. 3 spuds), cooked peeled and mashed with milk
1/2 cup of the potato water (water the spuds were boiled in)
1 + 1/2 cup warm milk
1/2 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tbs. salt
7 + 1/2 cup all purpose flour

Dissolve 1 tsp. sugar to the potato water, along with 1 packet, or 2 tbs yeast. Let the yeast proof for 5 minutes.

While the yeast is proofing, combine the milk, sugar, oil, eggs, and salt together in a large bowl. When there is a good head of foam on the potato water/yeast mixture, add to the mixture and stir in. Slowly fold in the flour and knead until smooth (about ten to fifteen minutes). Cover the bowl and place in a warm place. Let rise until doubled. Punch the dough down and place onto a floured surface. Roll out the dough.

For dinner rolls, Melt 2 sticks of butter and allow to cool until you can put your finger in it. Cut 2 1/2 inch rounds with the floured rim of a doughnut cutter, or drinking glass. Dip the rounds into the melted butter, fold in half, and place onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Shape into a crescent. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Allow the dough to rise for twenty minutes, then place into the oven and bake for 15 minutes. These are heavenly.

For wonderful cinnamon rolls, pour the butter all over the rolled out dough, sprinkle liberally with sugar and cinnamon, and broken walnut pieces, and roll. Slice 1/2 inch thick rolls and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and allow to rise until doubled. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush liberally with thick syrup.

Syrup - combine 2 cups sugar, 1 1/2 cups water, and 1/2 cup maple syrup in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 233 degrees F.

Pigs in the blanket. Wrap your favorite hot dog or sausage in the dough and bake in a 350' F. oven for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. These are phenomenal.

I'm sure you can come up with other wonderful ideas for this versatile pastry dough.

Oh, they are also wonderful when you take a small chunk, stretch it into a 4 inch circle, and fry it in hot oil, flipping to make both sides golden brown. Then top with strawberry freezer jam, honey, or whatever is your favorite topping.

You have to try this dough recipe. I have been praising my daughter-in-law for days. I think I made her blush once, though it's hard to tell over the phone.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom