"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 03-15-2007, 06:39 AM   #11
Sous Chef

You may be thinking of Mealy pie crust -

Mealy Pie Dough

For about 2 lbs:
1 1/2 lb. Pastry flour
¾ lb. + 1 oz. Shortening
1 oz. Salt
¼ lb. + 1 oz. water

These are approximate measurements – my recipe is for ~9 lbs. of dough.
Mix the flour & shortening till like coarse cornmeal.
Add the salt & water; mix just till absorbed.

Place in pans, cover and place in fridge or retarder for several hours.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:54 AM   #12
Sous Chef

I think pastry for something like empanadas would be more crumbly. Or Jamaican pasties.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:28 AM   #13
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs
You may be thinking of Mealy pie crust -

Mealy Pie Dough

For about 2 lbs:
1 1/2 lb. Pastry flour
¾ lb. + 1 oz. Shortening
1 oz. Salt
¼ lb. + 1 oz. water

These are approximate measurements – my recipe is for ~9 lbs. of dough.
Mix the flour & shortening till like coarse cornmeal.
Add the salt & water; mix just till absorbed.

Place in pans, cover and place in fridge or retarder for several hours.
hi cjs, thanks for the tip on the mealy pie dough. googled it and i think that's what my husband wants. i will give that a try and knead my flour more. i think this is just excuse for husband to make me bake more!
Old 03-15-2007, 10:21 AM   #14
Executive Chef

the more you knead, the tougher it becomes, and thus better for pasties
Old 03-15-2007, 11:52 AM   #15
Master Chef

Here's my recipe for pastie crust. It's a very dense crust. This recipe makes 6 pasties (when dough's rolled out to a 9 inch circle for each pastie)

Crust

4 c flour
1 ¼ c lard**
1 tsp salt
½ c cold water (add slowly—may not need full ½ c)

Mix crust like piecrust dough.
(Bake time, for mine, is 425F for 15 minutes. Then reduce heat to 375F for 45 minutes.)

**make sure lard is at room temperature.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:40 PM   #16
Master Chef

Whether a crust is flaky or not doesn't depend on the type of fat (though it does to some extent, with shortening/lard giving a more flaky crust because they don't have water in them) as much as it depends on the size of the fat pieces which are combined with the flour.

For flaky crusts, you want to combine the fat with the flour only until the mixture gets to the size of small peas. The larger sized peices of fat melt and create steam as the crust cooks, which, in turn creates layers of flaky crust.

For a short crusts ("crumbly" "mealy"), you need to combine the fat until the peices are much smaller. Like cjs's recipe says -- till they resemble coarse cornmeal. cjs's recipe looks like a good one for a short (or "crumbly") crust.

DO NOT knead more!

Consider replacing a t of water with vinegar for a more tender crust.

From Baking911

"
Fats: The differences in textures of many pastries has to do with the type of fats and how it's introduced. Fats contribute to the tenderness (shortness) and especially flakiness of pastry. Pure fats, such as shortening and lard, produce to flakier pastry than those that contain water such as butter. Pastry is often a trade-off between flavor and texture, much of which comes from the fat in the recipe. Some bakers use both butter and shortening to capture the best qualities of each, but I prefer to use all butter because of its better taste.

Fats contribute to the flakiness and tenderness of pastry by being layered in between sheets of thin dough. It can also be cut in or rubbed into the flour as pea-sized shapes before the final dough is made. The fat melts during baking, leaving air spaces. When placed in the oven, the flour starches set around the fat, leaving a layer or space when the fat melts which is reabsorbed back into the dough. The longer the fats take to melt in the oven, the more well defined the air cells. The melting point of shortening is higher than that of butter, and it stays solid longer. As a result, it forms better flaky pastry, but without the butter's wonderful flavor."
Old 03-15-2007, 12:48 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
My vote goes to PAB's recipe. Lard is an excellent choice for crumbly crust with rich flavour.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:30 PM   #18
Cook

thanks pa baker for your recipe

and jennyema for your input as well especially about not kneading more. i mistook that for mixing it to the size of coarsemeal like you said.

and big thanks to everyone else as well for you excellent advice. now i will go put the advice into practice. i will be making more pasties tomorrow as husband is pestering me for more pasties as he said they were delicious even if they were flaky.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:33 PM   #19
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
My vote goes to PAB's recipe. Lard is an excellent choice for crumbly crust with rich flavour.

i don't know about lard being rich in flavor. i made my first pasty with all lard and they were disgusting! since then i've half the fat with butter which taste so much better.

Tags
None