"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 03-12-2015, 11:10 AM   #51
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I would volunteer, but I don't want to put the weight back on that I have recently lost. With this new figure, I might be able to catch me victim #3. I outlived two.
Speaking of people who deserve an 'Atta Girl!', I admire your spirit -- your sense of derring-do!

Old 03-12-2015, 03:50 PM   #52
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Another of those dirty jobs that someone has to do. You get an 'Atta Girl!' for your willingness to experiment on the behalf of others. I'm touched.
I wish I could volunteer...would really toss my diet out the window. Maybe I should make some for Shrek...and just lick the spoon.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:24 PM   #53
Head Chef

I wanted to help Aunt Bea shoulder the burden, so I just socked away in the freezer a bunch of small (about 2" x 3") pieces of the lemon cake with about a tsp. of curd in the middle. No, don't thank me. I did it for the good of mankind.

PF, that's one of life's imponderables -- is it better to have licked and lost or never to have licked at all?

(This is all the fault of that grand recipe, you know.)
Old 03-12-2015, 04:26 PM   #54
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Where's the step that says you get to lick the spoon !

Can you use PF's recipe to make lemon meringue pie? I was looking at pie recipes to compare if this makes enough, it does. But then the 2 recipes I looked said to add some corn starch ( to help it set up? )

Well, the recipe looks good , so if not a pie, then perhaps spoonfuls into individual tart shells would be perfect...
A little corn starch stabilises the egg mixture and prevents it from curdling if it gets a little too hot. Works with custard for ice cream, etc., as well. It doesn't take a lot of cornstarch and it doesn't taste. I learned that from Delia Smith's cookery books. It has frequently saved my life, so t speak!

You don't need it in lemon curd but it does take the risk out of lemon meringue pie
Old 03-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #55
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Maybe it would be easier if I had never had it before...but then, if I hadn't, you would never tried my recipe...so it all turned out well.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:30 PM   #56
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I wanted to help Aunt Bea shoulder the burden, so I just socked away in the freezer a bunch of small (about 2" x 3") pieces of the lemon cake with about a tsp. of curd in the middle. No, don't thank me. I did it for the good of mankind.

PF, that's one of life's imponderables -- is it better to have licked and lost or never to have licked at all?

(This is all the fault of that grand recipe, you know.)
I fear that the joy of licking the spoon is one that many young folks will never experience!

They will have to be satisfied with licking the inside of a double stuff Oreo!

I guess joy is where you find it!
Old 03-12-2015, 05:12 PM   #57
Master Chef

My idea of the ultimate lemon cake - Good quality lemon cake with PRI Fi's curd between three layers. Poke from top to bottom with bamboo skewers all over, then drizzle lemon jello into the cake. Cover with a creamy lemon buttercream and refrigerate for a couple hours. My mouth is watering, and my blood sugar is spiking just thinking about it. Nope, I won't be making this cake any time soon.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #58
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Pick me! Pick me!

I forgot to pick up lemons, but I have a nice juicy lime. Will try PF's recipe on a small scale. I have a feeling the curd will disappear with one slurp.
Use key limes, place in a graham cracker pie shell, and you will have key lime pie, one of my favorites.

Can you imagine making key lime curd, and swirling it into a great vanila ice cream? But I digress. Pri Fi, you lemon curd recipe looks good enough to eat! Maybe I'll make some for this weeks pot luck at church.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:41 PM   #59
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Use key limes, place in a graham cracker pie shell, and you will have key lime pie, one of my favorites.

Can you imagine making key lime curd, and swirling it into a great vanila ice cream? But I digress. Pri Fi, you lemon curd recipe looks good enough to eat! Maybe I'll make some for this weeks pot luck at church.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Goodness, I hope so!
Old 03-13-2015, 01:00 AM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Lemon Curd Recipe:
3 large eggs
1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons) (do not use the bottled lemon juice)
1 tablespoon (4 grams) finely shredded lemon zest
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
4 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into small pieces

In a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water ,whisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice until blended. Cook, stirring constantly (to prevent it from curdling), until the mixture becomes thick (like sour cream
or a hollandaise sauce) (160 degrees F or 71 degrees C).This will take approximately 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and immediately pour through a fine strainer to remove any lumps. Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk into the mixture until the butter has melted. Add the lemon zest and let cool. The lemon curd will continue to thicken as it cools. Cover immediately (so a skin doesn't form) and refrigerate for up to a week.
Makes 1 1/2 cups (360 ml).
Here's PF's recipe, so we don't have to scroll back to page 1. I SO need to make this, it sounds amazing.

Tags
butter, egg, lemon, recipe

Lemon Curd a la PF Lemon Curd Recipe: 3 large eggs 1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons) (do not use the bottled lemon juice) 1 tablespoon (4 grams) finely shredded lemon zest 3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar 4 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into small pieces In a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water ,whisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice until blended. Cook, stirring constantly (to prevent it from curdling), until the mixture becomes thick (like sour cream or a hollandaise sauce) (160 degrees F or 71 degrees C).This will take approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately pour through a fine strainer to remove any lumps. Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk into the mixture until the butter has melted. Add the lemon zest and let cool. The lemon curd will continue to thicken as it cools. Cover immediately (so a skin doesn't form) and refrigerate for up to a week. Makes 1 1/2 cups (360 ml). 3 stars 1 reviews