Making Pumpkin Pie with an Actual Pumpkin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it's a long story . . .

but in short, Libby pumpkin pie filling is not made from "pumpkin"

almost.

technically what pipples call "pumpkin" is a squash.
but for pies/taste etc there are better squash candidates to the purpose.
nor is Libby is some huge conspiracy to hide that fact.

see
LIBBY'S Pumpkin History - NESTLE VeryBestBaking.com

I think you're going to have to give the "long story" you mention above because your post doesn't really make sense. As wyogal pointed out, we are talking about canned pumpkin... not canned pumpkin pie filling. And I don't think anyone is saying that pumpkin is not a type of squash. However, the link you gave actually says the opposite of what you are saying in your post. I'm not really sure what your point is, but I think most people here agree that canned pumpkin is actually better than fresh and equally nutritious.

sorry - it was a bit cryptic.

Libby uses the Dickinson which botanically is closer to the butternut squash than the Halloween kind of pumpkin.

that said, if you look up a pix, sure _looks_ like a pumpkin (except for color) and sure _doesn't_ look like a butternut [g]

"experts" will disagree on what it (Dickinson) should be called, I just call it good.

a BIT cryptic?? and no one has recommended a "Halloween" pumpkin for pie.

msg #1
>>I've never made pumpkin pie before but I will be next week for TG. I would like to use "real" pumpkin, meaning not out of a can.

is what brought this to mind - it was quite obvious a bad idea to mention it.

I just talked to Mom, and Dad CAN have butternut squash, but not pumpkin. So, there IS a difference between the type of pumpkin that Libby uses and a butternut squash.
What is a bad idea is making broad statements that are not necessarily true, no matter what the experts argue.

I always use butternut squash for "pumpkin" pie. I cut them in half, bake them face down until they are soft. Not stringy, great flavor.

I have trouble growing pumpkins of any sort, but butternut squash like my garden. I use the Libby recipe, and I just leave the cloves out.

I just talked to Mom, and Dad CAN have butternut squash, but not pumpkin. So, there IS a difference between the type of pumpkin that Libby uses and a butternut squash.
What is a bad idea is making broad statements that are not necessarily true, no matter what the experts argue.

not sure to which broad statement you refer - however the debate belongs in the laps of the botanists as to whether it should be called pumpkin - a nice academic exercise - but because the marketing folks at Libby call it pumpkin does not mean it is true, either.

remember, a tomato is really a fruit - it took an Act of Congress to make it a vegetable, and it still is not a vegetable.

I too have quibbled over semantics. A perfect example of this was in the thread about stocks and broths. I had to ask myself if it was really so necessary to be right. After all, both terms are used interchangeably, and most people really don't care. I sent a private message to the person I was arguing with and stated my case there, with references.

Wyogal, you're father is allergic to pumpkins. So don't use them in your pie. Dilbert, you gave a reference for your information, and gave it as accurately as you could.

But the op was asking a question about how to make pumpkin pie from scratch. I think she received her answer. Any other info is, at this point, extraneous.

I am beginning to realize, as I gain more experience in life (age 54), that it is far more important to lift each other up, to share what we know when it benefits others, and to give our best to each other. Wyogal, in your case, it is imperative to know if the product you are using is pumpkin or not. And your information about there being a difference between true pumpkins and squashes is useful to any who would need to know that difference for medical reasons.

What I see is to people agreeing, but not understanding that they are saying the same thing. It's something I and my DW did for years. We just said the same thing from differing viewpoints.

I think the first statement made by Dilbert, in this post, was wrong. But he apologized and corrected it with more accurate info; i.e. Dilbert says that Libby's is using real pumpkin, but that the pumpkin is of a variety that closely resembles squash.

Wyogal says that to call the canned product squash is wrong, and dangerous for her father. Where is the argument? You're both right. And that's a good thing, because I value both of you. You both try to give the most accurate information available to you. That's what I try to do as well. That's why this site rocks.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I was just saying that they are two DIFFERENT things, one is pumpkin, yes related to BUT different from butternut squash. and I've already made plans to make the pie this year from SQUASH, I don't need you to tell me that.
sheesh.
too bad we can't all live up to your standards...
yep, I expect my hands to be slapped over this. probably banned because my view is different than yours, and I expressed it. and no, I don't care to get a pm from you telling me again how wrong I am, Goodweed. You also didn't get what I was saying about the difference as it relates to my dad. One vegetable contains a dangerous (for him) enzyme, the other doesn't, therefore: different.
p.s., Dillbert: the broad statement was the one you made regarding Libby's not being pumpkin. Thought it was obvious.

I was just saying that they are two DIFFERENT things, one is pumpkin, yes related to BUT different from butternut squash. and I've already made plans to make the pie this year from SQUASH, I don't need you to tell me that.
sheesh.
too bad we can't all live up to your standards...
yep, I expect my hands to be slapped over this. probably banned because my view is different than yours, and I expressed it. and no, I don't care to get a pm from you telling me again how wrong I am, Goodweed. You also didn't get what I was saying about the difference as it relates to my dad. One vegetable contains a dangerous (for him) enzyme, the other doesn't, therefore: different.
p.s., Dillbert: the broad statement was the one you made regarding Libby's not being pumpkin. Thought it was obvious.

Wyogal; I'm not sure what happened here. I was agreeing with you that there is a difference, and pointing out to Dilbert the same thing you just stated, that his first post in the thread was what was wrong. I'm not slapping your hand. I'm trying to support you, and Dilbert. And, you'll notice in my post that I said that the information you supplied is important to anyone who might be allergic to pumpkin. You will also notice that I stated that I am guilty of arguing over semantics and am not perfect. I make the same mistakes as everyone else.

What I was trying to do was do was unruffle feathers that appeared to be ruffled. I am a peacemaker by nature. Is that a bad thing? Please take my post as an attempt to help, and not as criticizm.

I found it rather condescending. Like YOU are the one that needs to come in and save the day...

I found it rather condescending. Like YOU are the one that needs to come in and save the day...

I just didn't want to see things escalate. Sometimes a mediator can be helpful. I was only trying to help. I wish I had your phone number. We have agreed in so many posts, and as I said, I respect you and what you have to say. Things are often cleared up when people have a chance to talk to each other. The written word can easily be misconstrued. If you care to talk, pm me. I like to make freinds and am sorry if I sounded condescending.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Is everything all worked out then? Its good to see folks trying to clear up misunderstandings.

I must admit I was confused about the whole pumpkin not being pumpkin thing too Wyogal. And tell me, does butternut squash taste the same as pumpkin in pie form?

I can't stand pumpkin pie (gasp! sacrilege!) but my family LOVES it. I can't decide if its the texture or the taste or the fact that I'm making a sweet dessert from a savory veggie. I weirds me out. OK, sorry, long story to ask a simple question. I would be willing to try a different veggie to get the same results because one of the things I can't stand is the smell of the pumpkin. I find other stuff less...aromatic.

I thought about that, but we are already having sweet potatoes with the meal. Do you know of any good sweet potato pie recipes? I may make one later on during the holidays.
I have never made it myself, but if I find one, I will let you know.

:)Barbara

Sweet potato pie can be made using the same recipes as for pumpkin pie. Of course the sweet potato has to be cooked and mashed until smooth first.;) When the pie is made using a pumpkin pie recipe, the flavor is similar. That being said, you can do a few things with sweet potato pie that is not normally done with pumpkin pie. You can flavor the custard with maple syrup for instance, or add orange zest to the custard. It doesn't have to taste like traditional pumpkin pie. As it is a custard, the texture is nearly identical to pumpkin pie. Yep, I've both had and made sweet potato pie.

I once was given a slice of bean pie, made I think from great northern beans. How this was done, I don't know. But it was also very similar in both texture and flavor to pumpkin pie.

Oh, a tip. I once had too much pumpkin pie filling for the two pie crusts that I had made. I added flour and baking powder, with a bit of cooking oil to the filling mixture. I then cooked the batter in my waffle iron. That made some really tasty waffles, with syrup and butter.

Well I made the pie! I did use canned pumpkin. It looks okay, I guess. I don't really like pumpkin pie - this is for my mom. The recipe is my grandma's, a non-negotiable part.

I also made pecan pie. I've never made that either. I've never had it and I found a recipe from cooks country that doesn't use corn syrup. I don't know if it's supposed to look this dark, but it doesn't smell burnt. This one is for my brother in law.

Thanks everyone for telling me not to go with the real pumpkin, that would have been an awful amount of work and I wasn't in the mood today!

Attachments

• pie 001.jpg
    pie 001.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 159
  • pie 002.jpg
    pie 002.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 160
Back
Top Bottom