Pie Collapsing in Center

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfall1221

Assistant Cook
hello,

I found a wonderful recipe for a chocolate pie online. It turned out excellent, with one problem. The center of the pie completely caved as it cooled. While baking it looked wonderful, puffing up with a hard crust, now it looks like someone dropped a bowling ball on it :(

I have been trying to discover what went wrong through experimenting. I had some of the filling left over and placed it in a ramkein and let it bake. Once it was at the proper stage (crust was hard and cracking, knife came out clean) I left this one in the oven to cool gradually. two hours later, same problem.

Is there a way to combat this other than filling the hole with whipped cream?

Thanks in advance,
Dragonfall1221

Dragonfall, if you can please post the recipe and what you did it will help us troubleshoot for you. You'll be glad you did, these folks are an amazing knowledge base!

Thanks for trying to help! Here's the recipe:

6 oz semisweet chocolate - chips or bar
4 oz (1/2 cup) sweet unsalted butter
3 eggs
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 oz (1/2 cup) sugar

I doubled the recipe because I wanted to make two pies, but otherwise didn't change anything. The chocolate and butter were melted in a double boiler. The eggs, salt, and sugar were beat together until pale yellow and fluffy. I folded the egg mixture into the chocolate slowly, until it was incorporated, then poured the mixture into two pre-cooked pie crusts and baked in a pre-heated oven at 325 until the mixture was puffy and cracking on top.

here's the link for the recipe if you'd like to see the instructions with pictures Chocolate Pie

Thanks again for the assists!
dragonfall1221

Try this proportion:
250g unsalted butter
375g bittersweet chocolate
4 eggs
175g caster sugar

Beat the eggs with sugar until light and fluffy, melt the chocolate and butter delicately (very) and mix with the eggs. Pour into pre-baked crust and bake at 140 degrees Celsius until the top forms a skin, but the whole thing is a little bit wobbly in the center.

You have to remember, that with this kind of filling, the pie cannot be to high. It's more suitable for a tart, as it will never stand strong (no flour).

I hope the metric measurements are not a big problem ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom