Science Builds a Better Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't make a decent pie crust. A crust must be extremely thin and flakey, even on the bottoml

I live with a pie crust lover, so I have to make it a bit heavier. I think that I am finally perfecting my pie crust skills, and it seems like I'm finding success with the basic, no frills recipe like this one.

I have a theory. Cutting half of the fat that has been chilled first until the size of peas, then cutting in the second half at room temperature seems to work best for me add far as finding the right balance of flakiness and tenderness. My theory is that the room temperature fat coats the flour a bit helping to inhibit gluten development a bit keeping it tender.

I can't make a decent pie crust. A crust must be extremely thin and flakey, even on the bottoml

Try the make-your-own mix method discussed above. Most folks I know who have tried it went from fearing the pie crust to becoming pie baking fiends, LOL! Try replacing some of the liquid with vodka if you are still unsatisfied with the results.

Try the make-your-own mix method discussed above. Most folks I know who have tried it went from fearing the pie crust to becoming pie baking fiends, LOL! Try replacing some of the liquid with vodka if you are still unsatisfied with the results.

I've been adding ice water until it will come together when squeezed, and then adding vodka to make a nice, easy to roll dough. Seems to be working well for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom