"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 07-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I made these tonight.

Baked the strudels accidentally at 400 for about 10 mnutes, then cranked the oven to 425. Checked at 20 minutes or so, just starting to brown. At a little over 25 minutes, they were nice and golden with juices bubbling out of the slits.

Taste tested a little but the fruit is still to warm to serve. Guess I will just have to stay up late tonight. Yum. PPO, thanks for sharing this recipe.
Sounds like a very good reason to stay up!

Your welcome!

Old 07-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

I have only just seen this, it looks amazing, thanks for sharing PPT

Old 07-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
I have only just seen this, it looks amazing, thanks for sharing PPT
Thank you!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #24
Master Chef

PPO, I made this for our dessert last night and learned something VERY important: phyllo dough is not the same as puff pastry. I've never used either dough so didn't think there was a difference. When I took the roll of dough from it's wrapper I thought "I don't remember PPO saying you had to brush butter on the sheets". Hmm. Made it, it's definitely edible, but the final result can be blamed on operator error. I served it with a liberal amount of ice cream on the side. Next time shopping, I'll look for puff pastry...
Old 08-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
PPO, I made this for our dessert last night and learned something VERY important: phyllo dough is not the same as puff pastry. I've never used either dough so didn't think there was a difference. When I took the roll of dough from it's wrapper I thought "I don't remember PPO saying you had to brush butter on the sheets". Hmm. Made it, it's definitely edible, but the final result can be blamed on operator error. I served it with a liberal amount of ice cream on the side. Next time shopping, I'll look for puff pastry...
Oh no, CG! Shoot, it sounded so yummy....great idea using ice cream.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Thanks for posting your results. I am sure the ice cream helped.

I love things made with phyllo dough but brushing the layers is to much work for me.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:00 AM   #27
Senior Cook

Butter flavored bakers spray[like Pam] works fairly well on phyllo dough.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:26 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post

I love things made with phyllo dough but brushing the layers is to much work for me.
Ditto here. If I can't adjust the recipe to using puff pastry instead, I look for another recipe. I want to enjoy the end product, not work myself to death making it.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post

Heck PPO, ice cream helps anything! Well, not sure about steak...

I have another roll of phyllo in the freezer since the box comes with two. If I decide to remake this with buttered phyllo I'll let you know how it all turns out. Himself is lobbying for an apple strudel though...his Mom made them a lot.

Tags
blackberries, peaches, puff pastrie dough, recipe

Super Simple Peach and Blackberry Strudel Recipe Filing 4 peaches (skinned and sliced) 3 or 4 oz (100 grams) blackberries 4 tablespoons sugar 2 tablespoons corn starch Divide filing between two sheets of puff pastry Fold over and seal Place in refrigerator for 20 minutes Mix one egg mixed with 2 tablespoons milk and put some of this on top of the pastries Sprinkle on 1/2 teaspoon raw sugar Cook in oven at 425 F (220 C) until golden brown on outside [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/40726522@N02/9178394046/][img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3745/9178394046_5a0c456147_z.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/40726522@N02/9178394046/]Super Simple Peach and Blackberry Strudel[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/40726522@N02/]powerplantop[/url], on Flickr 3 stars 1 reviews