"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 12-30-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
Executive Chef

TNT Chocolate Kahlua Mousse Pie by popular demand!

Every year, for as long as I can remember, my dad has made this for Christmas. This is his "SECRET RECIPE!!" (Don't worry, as long as you don't tell on me, I won't get grounded ) A couple notes though:-make sure the chocolate has cooled sufficiently before adding it to the yolks. I've made the mistake of adding them too soon and ended up with cooked egg yolks in my mousse.
-Add the chocolate slowly to the egg yolks. Pour in a little bit and stir it up to bring up the temp of the yolk mixture. Keep it up until all the chocolate is mixed in. (Thanks to Chopstix for this tip) Adding all the chocolate at once might cause the chocolate to seize.
-Instead of making it with a crust, you can pour the mousse into individual bowls and serve it that way (shorter freezing time is a bonus if you can't wait to taste it.
-The amount of kahlua is really up to you. I feel like a third of a cup is too much liquer, but you might like it that way. You do, however, need to put in at least a sixth of a cup or your mousse will come out rock solid (since the liquer doesn't freeze). I like it with just a sixth of a cup, there is just a hint of kahlua but isn't overpowering.
-I like to eat it straight out of the freezer but other member of the family like to take it out for 5-10 minutes before serving to let it soften up. But like I said, I'm not a fan of it. Please enjoy this! It is my favorite of all time and I'm happy to share it with all of you.
Chocolate Kahlua Mousse Pie
Serves 6-8

8 ounces chocolate chips, melted
2 large eggs, separated
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/6-1/3 cup kahlua
1 cup whipped cream plus additional cream for serving
One Oreo cookie crust

Melt chocolate and set aside until lukewarm. Separate egg whites into bowl and beat in sugar until glossy and medium stiff peaks form. In another bowl, whisk egg yolks until thick. Whisk in kahlua and chocolate until smooth. Fold in 1/4 of egg whites to lighten, then fold in remaining whites. Whip the cream and add to chocolate mixture. Pour into Oreo cookie crust. Chill in freezer overnight. Serve with whipped cream.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:29 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Thanks - we won't tell anybody!

Old 12-30-2005, 07:30 PM   #3
Master Chef

Woohoo!! Thank you corazon!!

Old 12-30-2005, 07:47 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!

Just kidding Cora, I wouldn't do that to ya!! Sounds reeeeally good, yum yum!! And promise we will guard the secret with life!!
Old 12-30-2005, 07:56 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
You're secret is safe with me.

This sounds gooooooooooood!
Old 01-02-2006, 02:08 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Well tg?! Have you tried it yet? I'm anxiously waiting for your reaction...
Old 01-02-2006, 02:16 PM   #7
Master Chef

I am making it tonight MAN, I didn't read it all the way through, I have to freeze it OVERNIGHT

Well, I guess we'll have it tomorrow.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:45 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Yes but you can always sample a little bit before you stick it in the freezer. Make sure to lick that bowl clean!
Old 01-02-2006, 02:46 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
Yes but you can always sample a little bit before you stick it in the freezer. Make sure to lick that bowl clean!
No problem there!!
Old 01-02-2006, 02:49 PM   #10
Executive Chef

If you made it right now, it would probably be frozen by tonight. It only takes 10-15 minutes to make & especially quick if you have a standing mixer.

Tags
None