"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 04-22-2007, 08:31 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
What type of apples do you use in your pie? It seems like I peel eight pounds of apples to make a pie. (Minus a few that went to a lunch bag or a snack!) After I have sliced the apples, I toss them in sugar and spice and heap them into a deep dish pie plate. I normally use a basic pie dough recipe (ap flour, shortening & water) and make a two crust pie. It cooks for an hour at 350F so I don't put any egg wash or milk/sugar on the top crust since it is in the oven that long. I have and use several different apple pie recipes but this is one of my favorite. I use Granny Smith apples for this one.
i LIKE TO USE GREEN APPLES!!

Old 04-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #12
Master Chef

My crumb-top apple is the favorite, but cherry is a close second.
I pre-cook my apples with the sugar, spices and flour in the microwave for a bit before I put them in the pie.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:44 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
What type of apples do you use in your pie? It seems like I peel eight pounds of apples to make a pie. (Minus a few that went to a lunch bag or a snack!) After I have sliced the apples, I toss them in sugar and spice and heap them into a deep dish pie plate. I normally use a basic pie dough recipe (ap flour, shortening & water) and make a two crust pie. It cooks for an hour at 350F so I don't put any egg wash or milk/sugar on the top crust since it is in the oven that long. I have and use several different apple pie recipes but this is one of my favorite. I use Granny Smith apples for this one.
Bramley cooking apples is what I use for cooking and stewinh,
DH loves them
Old 04-22-2007, 10:09 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
My crumb-top apple is the favorite, but cherry is a close second.
I pre-cook my apples with the sugar, spices and flour in the microwave for a bit before I put them in the pie.
mmmmmm, I love the crumb top apple PIE's!!!

All I can think about now is how I want to bake a PIE!
Old 04-22-2007, 11:38 AM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Apple is my all time favorite, except for my paternal grandmother's apple pie, because she kinda went nuts with the lemon to keep the apples from browning. I don't want to TASTE the lemon! I also always manage to choke down one piece of pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving, for tradition sake. Apologies to the Southern folk, but just thinking about pecan pie, with all that sugar in the filling, makes my teeth itch!

I remember one Thanksgiving night, actually it was 3 am the next day and I was cleaning up the kitchen, I was watching a very old episode of Galloping Gourmet. He made a maple Sugar Pie (he was living in Ottawa at the time) in, I'd estimate, a 9 inch by 12 inch oval Corningeware-type dish. After the pie had cooled, he covered the entire top with about 3 or 4 inches of whipped heavy cream. No wonder his poor wife, Treena, had a heart attack!
Old 04-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
We do have a section dedicated to pies within our dessert forum, which also contains a thread with a poll about favourite pies.
I am sure you will enjoy browsing through this section, and here it is.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:28 AM   #17
Cook

Gotta go with hickory nut pie.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:14 AM   #18
Master Chef

I never did get into the apple pie thing too much except for the apple crumb thing my best friend's mom made when we were kids.

For me ... sweet potato beats out a good pecan by only one whisker ... then peach and blackberry cobblers, then lemon and chocolate meringue. Rhubarb fits in there somewhere ... just not sure where to slide it in.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:08 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

i just love apple pie with a hint of clove.
covered with clotted cream.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:03 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I've had a craving for lemon meringue pie recently. And also for an impossible pie that is delicious, called something like coconut custard impossible pie, think I'll make one of those soon, have lotsa milk and eggs at the moment..

Tags
None