"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 10-08-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Which is the BEST Apple Pie recipes from each county in the UK?

Hi all,

I am doing research on the following topic:

Which is the best Apple pie recipes from each county the UK?

I would welcome all your thoughts on this.

All the best

Edward Parry

Old 10-08-2006, 05:59 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Aren't they all fairly similar? Either a top and bottom crust, or a top crust only with apples in the middle, often flavoured with cinnamon! I'm from Midlothian. I don't think we have a specific apple pie recipe, for instance, I just use the one my Mum used to make.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:02 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Wait a minute - I thought apple pie was 'sposed to be Amerikansky.

I will be interested to see how this thread unfolds with the contributions from Old Blighty.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
Executive Chef

NOOO, Mudbug. Apple pie (with a shortcrust pastry) is traditionally British, I think the settlers took over the pond! And that's not counting the German versions, the French versions, the Italian versions.... you get my drift!

The only 'odd' version I've come across is in Yorkshire where it is often made with a crust, but with white, wensleydale cheese laid on top of the apples before the lid is put on.. It is also traditional in some counties to serve it with a slice of cheese on top of the cooked pie.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to tomchef
yea my mom makes the best apple pie,and so does my friends mam,and so does... well everyones mam.except of course for my grilfriends mam,which is mingin,but she wouldnt agree to that! just chew and smile tom,chew and smile....
Old 10-08-2006, 07:19 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Wait a minute - I thought apple pie was 'sposed to be Amerikansky. I will be interested to see how this thread unfolds with the contributions from Old Blighty.
Sorry , mudbug. " As American as Apple Pie" is the same as saying - " As Greek as Spaghetti Bolognese"...
Apples are European. Apples comes from Northern Europe.

But then that happens everywhere. Pizza Napolitana depends on a simple tomato sauce. Tomatoes come from South America.

Bangers & Mash has to have potatoes.
Potatoes come from South America.

Pork Vindaloo is from Goa, in India - possibly the hottest curry you'll ever eat.
Hello? The pork was imported by the Portuguese, and the hot chillies came from .. you guessed... South America.

Just so you don't think I'm biased:
The Venezuelan national fruit is the mango. A native of India!
Old 10-08-2006, 07:54 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
As American as apple pie" is a common saying in the United States. However, the expression (its full form being "As American as motherhood and apple pieis clearly metaphorical, rather than literally ascribing an American origin to either apple pie or motherhood, since both motherhood and apple pie predate the United States. To some, the saying expresses the feeling that the concept "America" is not just geographical, but is instead—along with motherhood and apple pie—something wholesome.The dish was also commemorated in the phrase "for mom and apple pie" - supposedly the stock answer of soldiers in WWII, whenever journalists asked why they were going to war.

ANYWAY in the uk

sugar isnt always in apple pies. asit was expensive in england so most recipes dont have sugar in them.

Also they use saffron to colour the filling.. Different areas use Raisins or figs and even pears in the their pie Also cloves..
Old 10-09-2006, 09:37 AM   #8
Master Chef

walnuts in apple pies.... *yumm*
along with cinnamon...
and all this on a yeast dough with "streusel"....
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:34 PM   #9
Head Chef

Well there you go. I always thought apple pie was Dutch. Whatever the origin, it's always delumptious.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:21 PM   #10
Head Chef

I had a super apple pie flavoured with mead in Somerset once. It was a buttery shortcrust pastry. Personally I favour a puff pastry though. I also used to make a apple and blackberry pie which was sweetend with honey. I was trying to keep it as something authenically english produced (ie no sugar). But my mothers favourite is with quince. The fragrance is unbelievable. Apart from the mead these would al be pretty general Northern european sourced things.

Apple variety would play a big part in the regionality of the pie, is my guess.

Tags
None