Cake sinks in middle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Von Glassoff

Assistant Cook
Today I made my carrot cake that I have made for years. Sometimes the cake sinks in the middle and maybe someone can help me with this. I thought maybe it was beating it too long and the eggs caused it to rise too high and then sink. I even have tried room temp eggs. I have tried also when cake is done turning off the oven and leaving it open about 12 in" for about 15 mins. before removing. Sometimes it sinks and sometimes it is perfect and I am so puzzled.:ermm:

Have you checked your oven temperature lately? That is what I would do first. I've ruined a lot of "good recipes" by having an oven that decided to go haywire.:(

I haven't checked the oven temp lately but everything else is coming out alright. I have had this trouble no matter what oven I have used.

No kids. I know what you mean though my mother always said to walk softly when she had a cake in the oven.

Maybe your oven isn't cooking it evenly. Do you have any sort of stone in your oven? Not sure if it will help or not, but I've heard that leaving a pizza stone in the oven will help your cakes bake more evenly. ??

I own a pizza stone. Where do you put it in the oven. Move the shelf to the bottom and put stone on it or just underneath rack with cake pans?

I leave my pizza stone in the oven all the time. It's in the middle rack, which is where I put most of my cakes/muffins I make (unless the recipe states differently).

Side note: I've noticed if my cake pan isn't completely on the stone (if it's hanging off), somehow the part hanging off doesn't rise like the rest. Weird. Not sure why this is, or if it's just my imagination.

Can you post your recipe? It very well could be you're beating the eggs too much; most carrot cake recipes I know of just call for mixing the ingredients together, not beating the eggs like you would in a 'regular' cake recipe.

It also could be your leavening; old baking powder?

sounds like you are opening the oven door B4 the cake is fully cooked...KEEP the door closed until the stated cooking time has passed. then & only then open the door to check for doneness.
Angel

Also...you may be cooking your cake at too hot a temperature? My recipe calls for 300 rather than the usual 350. Might give it a little more time to bake that center.

My sister gave me the recipe years ago. It is the best carrot cake I have ever had.

1 &1/2 cups oil
2 c sugar
4 eggs beaten
2 c flour
2 tsps cinnamon
2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt

I didn't get to finish and accidentally posted. continued:
2 tsp baking powder
3 c grated carrots
1 c chopped pecans (a must)
Grease and flour 2 9" round cake pans. Preheat oven 350*. Sift dry ingredients twice & add nuts & set aside. In a large bowl beat oil and sugar well. Add eggs & beat well. Add four mixture and blend. Fold in carrots small amounts at a time. Bake for 30 mins. I have had to bake this cake as long as 45 mins. depending on the oven.

Oh and of course it has to have the Cream Cheese frosting.
1 8oz pkg cream cheese
1/2 to 1 stick of butter room temp.
4 cups of confectioner's sugar
2 tsp vanilla
Blend with an electric mixer and spread on cake.

That is exactly the recipe I use except that I don't use the baking powder. I use a 13x9x2 pan...bake at 300 for almost 60 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom