Chinese Cake with fresh Fruit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jules402

Assistant Cook
In Soho here in London there are 3 Chinese bakeries that sell a very light cake with three thin layers filled with fresh cream and fruit and decorated with the same. I would love for a recipe to make this because it's extremely light and tastes delicious! :)

Does anyone know of a good recipe for this style of cake? I think it is a white cake recipe I am after but we don't tend to make white cakes in England, just the traditional Victoria sponges (yellow cakes?).

Any help much appreciated!

Julie

Chinese sponge cake
1 c Softasilk flour (cake flour)
1 c sugar
6 eggs, separated
1 ts vanilla
1/4 c cold water
1/2 ts salt
1/2 ts cream of tartar
Preheat oven to 325. Beat egg yolk and sugar till creamy. Stir in vanilla. Add flour and water alternately till mixed well. In a spearate bowl, beat egg white till foamy. Add salt and cream of tartar. Beat until stiff peak. Fold egg white into batter in batches. Pour into ungreased angel food cake pan. Bake until toothpick comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Turn upside-down to cool.
Because there's no oil in the cake, it does stick to the pan. Just use a knife to careful go around the pan. It helps if you use a pan that has a removable bottom.

Back
Top Bottom