"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 06-27-2005, 12:51 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I didn't realize you could buy fonant in a mix. How cool!
I'm going to look for some of it and try it out.

Htc... why would we laugh at your cake? It's very very pretty!

( hubby and I were both born in Oregon. It's still our HOME and way from home.
We'll be heading down there again in a few weeks. Can't wait!!. All our family and lots of our friends are still living there. What area are you in? We'll be in the the St. Helens to Portland to Salem areas for sure and maybe camping in the farther corners of the state too. We haven't made a firm set of plans yet.)

Old 06-27-2005, 01:15 PM   #12
Head Chef

pds, the fondant is already made and ready to roll, not a mix. To get the pink, I just added a little food coloring. As for the laughing, I thought that the rose looked a little dorky because it's HUGE. I was trying to go for petite and dainty, like at the bakery. I will just keep trying.

I am in the Portland area as well. How long has it been since you've been in this area? If it's been a while, you need to definitely go check out a new grocery store called New Seasons. It's my favorite place to shop. It's like a Whole Foods, but locally owned. Here's a link http://www.newseasonsmarket.com/, I prefer the Concordia location because I think it might be the biggest one. If you like Asian food, pm me and I'll send you a couple suggestions of places to eat!

Old 06-27-2005, 01:44 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Isn't Portland a wonderful town??

I moved to Washington when I was 8 with my mom... but, the rest of my family is still in St. Helens. Paul has lived in the Seattle area for about 15 years and his family is all in Salem. We drive down to visit as often as poss. Once in awhile we make a secret visit so that we can spend all our time in Portland hiding out. FRY'S is the best book store in the world. I think we could spend days just looking around there. The waterfront is beautiful. We love sitting and watching the kids play in the fountain and Saturday market is a blast. People in Oregon seem to be more polite and easy going than here in Seattle.

Thanks for the heads up on the grocery store. I'm not sure if we'll make it there this trip or not. So far the plan is to head down to Salem on the 7th, spend the night at Paul's parents place and in the morning head to Eugene for the Oregon country fair with Bil and Sil. Two days there and then a week or so camping. Fish lake and maybe a few days up on Steen's Mountain. It is so beautiful there and so dang remote. No people!! Yippeee!!! Might head Eastern Washington or Montana after that. Who knows?

Asian food is great!!! And I'm always looking for good places to eat.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:20 PM   #14
Head Chef

Sounds like you'll have so much fun! I thought FRYS was an electronics store w/ just a few books? I usually go to Powells, a local favorite spot. Lot of new Barnes and Nobles popping up everywhere.

As for Asian food:
Vietnamese: Pho Oregon or Thai Binh
Chinese Noodle Soup: Good Taste (whole in the wall, looks scary, but is got best wonton noodle soup in town!)
Chinese family style: Golden (or Gold) Coin or Wong King Seafood. Gold coin is a little better but not as nice looking as Wong King.

Have a safe drive!!
Old 06-27-2005, 02:51 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

LOLOLOL! Yep, Fry's is the eletronics store! And Powells is the book store! Hubby is a "puter" nerd and we spend time at Fry's too. No sales tax is a good thing.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:04 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
That's great htc - and a rose can never be too big!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 06:43 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I think it looks great! My first try, I had died it pink for a heart shaped cake for hubby. What a joke it turned out to be!

Tags
None