Famous Cheesecake, can you guess?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You sure are a :devilish: for punishment Robert!!! :) :) :) Nearly made another cake?? At bedtime?
I admire such dedication.:chef: It has been interesting as always and keep up the good work experimenting.

Lynan said:
You sure are a :devilish: for punishment Robert!!! :) :) :) Nearly made another cake?? At bedtime?
I admire such dedication.:chef: It has been interesting as always and keep up the good work experimenting.
"where there is crying in the evening, laughter comes in the morning" I FEEL WONDERFUL !! TODAY, I STAND ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS. LET'S GO FOR THE GOLD !!!
sm_pokal.gif

Last edited:
cheese cake

Oh, i love cheesecake. I made a delicious one, last Satureday, with ground almonds, in it.
And that coffee and cocao idea is great. I am going to put them in, in future.
I dont know many famous cooks. Who owns this recipe?
Mel

The fact is Mel, even tho I mucked it up by putting a lid on it while baking, it still came out delicious. The height of this cake is difficult to handle so just scale it to a more conventional size. The marbling came from Jen. But remember, powdered cocoa is bitter and unsweetened so add sugar before folding it into the batter and the coffee was put in to replace liquid the cocoa powder removed. Also consider I haven't posted it as a concise recipe as of yet. So proceed with caution. It's still on the drawing board. If you want to try aspects of it then you might want to keep me online to ponder along with you as you go through the process. I do have a rule of thumb, "The better the cheesecake, the deeper the cracks". Good fortune !

All the best,
Robert

Last edited:
rdcast said:
ok ok, let me give you a hand before I lose mah audience. jpmcgrew was right about it concerning the lid. Not that I knew, tho I know now, what effect would develop by putting a lid on your springform pan while your cheesecake batter baked ?

Don't know. Never saw a recipe for cheesecake (and I have a recipe book titled 50 best cheesecakes) that called for a "lid".
And that sure is a lot of flour, something else I've never seen in that amount in a cheesecake recipe--up to and including Lindy's famous.

Thanx Rdcast, for those tips. I like to experiment, while cooking, so no problem, if u have not yet perfected.
Mel

My pleasure Mel :)

Gretchen, the lid is what did the damage by preventing moisture from escaping the batter. For cheesecake recipes calling for flour, as some New York style cheesecakes do, it's rare to see more than a couple Tbsp used. I've never seen a cheesecake recipe to contain the amount of flour I insist on incorporating. Eventually, I will have discovered both the desirable minimum and maximum amounts. Either way, it's not an ingredient that harms a cheesecake in practical usage.

With gratitude for your input,
Robert

P.S. I posted the overall effect from using the lid in post #18. Your quote is from post #10

Last edited:
* drum roll *
musik35.gif

NOW FOR THE WINNER OF THE RDCAST "FAMOUS CHEESECAKE"
MOST STUPID TRICK CONTEST

Envelope please?

42.gif

YES !!! YOU GUESSED IT !!!

VeraBlue

award_tw.gif

disco.gif

VeraBlue said:
did you get soup?

I know how to get to Long Island, pal:bangin:
23_32_7.gif

Last edited:
rdcast said:
My pleasure Mel :)

Gretchen, the lid is what did the damage by preventing moisture from escaping the batter. For cheesecake recipes calling for flour, as some New York style cheesecakes do, it's rare to see more than a couple Tbsp used. I've never seen a cheesecake recipe to contain the amount of flour I insist on incorporating. Eventually, I will have discovered both the desirable minimum and maximum amounts. Either way, it's not an ingredient that harms a cheesecake in practical usage.

With gratitude for your input,
Robert

P.S. I posted the overall effect from using the lid in post #18. Your quote is from post #10

Did I somewhere miss the reason you want to do this expensive experimentation rather than use the myriad number of excellent cheesecake recipes there are available?

And no, I don't think melting caramels and putting them in a cheesecake will result in anything but perhaps a lump in the bottom.

Do you have any advice for keeping the melted caramel emulsified in the batter opposed to it falling to the bottom ? I would be interested ?

rdcast said:
Do you have any advice for keeping the melted caramel emulsified in the batter opposed to it falling to the bottom ? I would be interested ?

Put half your batter in the pan, then cook it for a 10 minutes or so (just long enough to set the top) then put in the rest of the batter and finish cooking!

vagriller said:
Put half your batter in the pan, then cook it for a 10 minutes or so (just long enough to set the top) then put in the rest of the batter and finish cooking!
Thanks so much Verdana, I would have said that earlier but I was in the middle of melting the caramels.
So I followed your advice but baked the first batch for 5 mins @ 400 then added the swirled second half to begin the baking of the entire cake.

Thank you again,
Robert (I'll post the results) *fingers crossed*

I have tried the swirling technique (with raspberry not caramel) and the raspberry just settled to the bottom. I'll keep my fingers crossed here in Virginia for you!

BTW, what's with the Verdana thing?

LMBO !!! I have no idea wher I got Verdana. I'm just really busy right now trying my best not to make a mistake with this cake. My apologies vagriller.
I followed your advice and Jen's " Next time mix the caramel with a bit of cheesecake filling to get a good swirl and prevent seperation and butter leakage ". She instructed me oh how to marble chocolate with great results.

rdcast said:
LMBO !!! I have no idea wher I got Verdana. I'm just really busy right now trying my best not to make a mistake with this cake. My apologies vagriller.
I followed your advice and Jen's " Next time mix the caramel with a bit of cheesecake filling to get a good swirl and prevent seperation and butter leakage ". She instructed me oh how to marble chocolate with great results.

No prob Bob! Looking forward to hearing how this cake turns out. I'm on the edge of my seat! Got a digital camera? Pics are good.

Danggit, I wish I did. I have a new digital camera that the cables have gone missing.
This process of experimenting is so exciting I can barely contain myself. Gretchen is at a loss for why I would bother. I have discovered many things by not following the paths set by others. We owe so much to the sacrifices paid by all the trailblazers whom we've learned from. That's how I would hope to see myself and in doing so I have discovered something so impressive I hesitate publishing it. Are trade secrets permissible ? I feel like such the scamp !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom