First Attempt at Fondant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaZ

Senior Cook
Below is the first attempt I've made at a fondant covered cake. My granddaughter turned 19 and we worked on the cake together. Pretty much resembles the picture of the cake she wanted. Had some trouble with the resizing, but I think it looks pretty nice. Tasted good, red velvet with cream cheese frosting under the fondant. The GD free handed cutting out the letters, and she frosted and spilt the cake herself. Had a great time doing this one. :chef:

attachment.php

Attachments

• sour patch cake.jpg
    sour patch cake.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 362
The thumbnail is the same cake - I'm not really good at posting pictures. Can't find the original cake picture - Frank knows I'm a computer dork - anyway - it was a success as far as I'm concerned.

Looks great, and how fun! Looks like something my daughter would like to do for granddaughter's upcoming 11th birthday. Saving..... :)

That looks awesome! Great job to both of you. I know that Morgan had fun making it with you!

@Frank about feeling old - It's not the years, but maybe you should slow down that mileage. :LOL:

Thank you one and all. We had a lot of fun doing this. Morgan took the leftover fondant home and wants to make brownies covered with fondant. We'll see how that one turns out. Anyway, even at 19 she's a pretty good baker.

Nice job! The first time I made fondant, I put the leftover stuff in a bowl and forgot it out on the counter overnight. It hardened on so much that I couldn't get it off and ended up throwing the whole bowl out in the garbage.

Nice job! The first time I made fondant, I put the leftover stuff in a bowl and forgot it out on the counter overnight. It hardened on so much that I couldn't get it off and ended up throwing the whole bowl out in the garbage.

It depends how hard it is but if it seems like the centre is soft, put in the microwave for 2 seconds at a time. Be careful, don't let it get too hot. It is sugar and burns (itself and you) very easily.

Good try Linda! I always wanted to attempt to play with fondant. I am guessing it would be very fun.

Back
Top Bottom