For AndySilversageWalnut Cake
1 cup walnuts
3 Tbsp sugar
1/3 cup flour
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
½ cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 Tbsp Kirsch
1 pinch salt
[B]Yield: 1 - 10 inch layer. 2 batches makes 3 - 8 inch layers
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Butter pan and line with parchment. Butter the parchment.
3. Grind the nuts and the sugar in the food processor. Add the flour and pulse quickly to combine.
4. Soften butter to a mayonnaise consistency.
5. Beat the remaining sugar, eggs, kirsch, and salt until pale, fluffy, doubled in volume, and holds soft peaks.
6. Stir 2 spoons of the egg mixture into the butter to lighten it.
7. Sprinkle he nuts, 1/3 at a time, over the remaining egg mixture and fold in gently.
8. Fold the butter gently into the batter.
9. Spread evenly in prepared pan, and bake 20-30 minutes until sides just begin to pull away.
Depending on the size of the cake you want, make 2 or 3 batches of batter. 3 batches will give you a 10-inch 3 layer torte. 2 batches will give you an 8-inch 4 layer torte.[/I][/B]
Author: Adapted from Julia Child
Source: Mastering the Art of French Cooking Vol.23 stars