Gingerbread workarounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghodur

Assistant Cook
I have a gingerbread recipe that I want to change a bit. It contains quite a lot (1 1/2 C ) crystallized ginger, which I don't like. I'm thinking I could just leave it out, but I'm wondering if it contributes to the bulk of the cake. Also wondering if I can sub melted butter for vegetable oil.

Huh? I've never used crystalized ginger in either my gingerbread or my gingerbread cookies. Maybe try a different recipe?

As far as butter, it may give a different taste, might work.

Last edited:
If you chill the cake it will have a firmer texture with butter. With strong flavors like gingerbread I doubt that you will see much of a taste difference. Oil makes it a bit more moist because it is 100%fast compared to butter which is usually around 80%. Using butter should work just fine though.

I would imagine that the ginger does add to the bulk, and I doubt that it will be the same without it, but you could give it a try bumping up the ground our fresh ginger a bit for flavor.

This is the recipe that I use.

Gingerbread
½ cup butter or margarine at room temperature.
¼ to ¾ cup granulated sugar, I use the smaller amount.
1 egg
[FONT=&quot]½ cup dark or bold molasses, I prefer Brer Rabbit Full Flavor Molasses[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ t salt
1 t baking soda
1 T ground ginger
1 t cinnamon
½ t cloves
1 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 7X11 brownie pan.
Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Mix in the egg, molasses. Add dry ingredients and mix well, batter will be very stiff. Gradually beat in the boiling water, batter will be very thin and you will think all is lost! Quickly pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Test with a toothpick, if it comes out clean and the cake pulls slightly from the sides of the pan it is done.

I like to serve this warm with a large dollop of fresh whipped cream. It can also be served with baked beans or soup, similar to Boston brown bread.

Can’t wait until we have our first big blizzard of the season! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
Thanks, Aunt Bea!
I been looking for a TNT recipe. The last few times I made gingerbread, it just don't taste like I remember it when my grandmother made it. It's one of those things that got away from us when we lost my grandmother.

Thanks, Aunt Bea!
I been looking for a TNT recipe. The last few times I made gingerbread, it just don't taste like I remember it when my grandmother made it. It's one of those things that got away from us when we lost my grandmother.

Hoot, this is pretty close to the real deal, Gramma might have used bacon grease in hers! ;)

I'll definitely try this, haven't found a good old fashioned gingerbread recipe. To many modern recipes mess with it, making it more gourmet.

Thanks Aunt Bea! This sounds pretty close to my grandma's recipe.

Gingerbread sauce

My uncle used to make the best sauce to go over the gingerbread. It may have been a butter sauce. It was warm, so he may have melted the butter. Has anyone heard of something similar? I love gingerbread and will try this recipe. Thank you for posting it.

My recipe uses crystallized ginger as well. Since the ginger is a solid as opposed to butter or oil which are liquids, I don't think it's a good idea.

The crystallized ginger will really boost the flavor of the cake. Maybe you could reduce the amount and/or grind the ginger finer so it's presence is not as obvious.

Here's the recipe I use:

Gingerbread

2½ C Flour
2½ tsp Ground Ginger
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
½ tsp Salt
¾ C Chopped Crystallized Ginger (approx. 5 Oz.)
2 tsp Flour
½ C Unsalted Butter (rm. temp.)
½ C Golden Brown Sugar-Packed
1 C Light Molasses
1 C Boiling Water
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 Egg (beaten to blend)

Preheat the oven to 375º F. Lightly butter a 13x9x2 baking pan.

Sift the 2½ cups of flour, ground ginger, cinnamon and salt into a medium bowl.

Mix the crystallized ginger with the 2 teaspoons of flour in a small bowl.

Using an electric mixer, beat the butter in a large bowl until fluffy. Add the brown sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.

Mix the molasses, the boiling water and the baking soda in another medium bowl to blend. Stir it into the butter/sugar mixture.

Stir in the dry ingredients and then the egg and the crystallized ginger mixture.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350º F. and bake for about 12 more minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake. It is done when the toothpick comes out clean.

Cool the pan on a rack for 30 minutes. Turn the cake out onto a rack and cool it completely.

My uncle used to make the best sauce to go over the gingerbread. It may have been a butter sauce. It was warm, so he may have melted the butter. Has anyone heard of something similar? I love gingerbread and will try this recipe. Thank you for posting it.

My mother used to make a lemon flavored sauce for gingerbread. It was just a basic cornstarch sauce.

Lemon sauce:

1/4 to a 1/2cup of sugar
1 T of cornstarch.
juice and zest of one lemon
1 cup boiling water
1 T butter

Mix sugar and cornstarch together in a saucepan, stir in approx. half of the boiling water, add lemon juice and zest. Stir over medium heat until the mixture thickens and clears. Add more boiling water to adjust the thickness of the sauce. Remove from heat, add butter, continue stirring until the butter melts and serve.

A basic cornstarch sauce can be flavored with nutmeg, cognac, rum etc...

Nice on a plain piece of pound cake.

Back
Top Bottom