Granny Pineapple Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I rarely bake, but I made this today and promised Cheryl at the "what are you doing thread" to post it.
This recipe really is as good as I remember if you are fond of gooey yummy pineapple cake. Grab a glass of milk and enjoy..

Granny Pineapple Cake
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 (20ozs) can crushed pineapple, undrained

TOPPING:
½ c. brown sugar
1 c. chopped nuts

1/2 c. sugar
1 stick salted butter
1 c. evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9" X 13" baking dish. Whisk together the sugar, flour, baking soda, salt. Add the eggs and pineapple and blend well with a hand mixer. Pour into prepared pan. Combine brown sugar and nuts; sprinkle over top BEFORE baking. Bake about 40-45 minutes.

TOPPING:
Combine remaining sugar, butter, and evaporated milk; bring to a hard boil for 1 minute, then add vanilla/. Let cake cool no longer than 10 min. then pour over cake. Serve warm or cold

Last edited:
Kayelle, you blend the pineapple to a pulp?!
I recently returned to DC for ideas with pineapple...
(I think I left after posting a new year resolution to learn how to bake, embarrassed to log back in because I'm still pathetic) It looks like an easy recipe, even for an oven in permanent lockdown. I'll give it a try!

When I was a juvenile heading to a day at the beach on summer weekends, my friends & I would stop at any hillside of pineapple rows to... cut & run, with a machete-weilding farmer chasing us off.

Kayelle, you blend the pineapple to a pulp?!
I recently returned to DC for ideas with pineapple...
(I think I left after posting a new year resolution to learn how to bake, embarrassed to log back in because I'm still pathetic) It looks like an easy recipe, even for an oven in permanent lockdown. I'll give it a try!

When I was a juvenile heading to a day at the beach on summer weekends, my friends & I would stop at any hillside of pineapple rows to... cut & run, with a machete-weilding farmer chasing us off.

Hey, it's good to see you again Spork! I used caned crushed pineapple for this and someone who's a better baker than me would have to tell you if fresh pineapple would work with the recipe. I know enzymes in fresh pineapple can do some strange things.
Anyway, the cake is super good and easy.

Thank you for posting this, Kay! :flowers: It sounds really good - I'll make this and give half to my sweet neighbors!

Kay, Tyler and I made this cake this afternoon. WOW, it's delicious and definitely a keeper! :yum: It was different than I expected, but in a good way. I was thinking that the evap milk mixture topping would be like a frosting, but it drizzled it's way down into the cake to make it very moist as you said, but still had a crumb to it.

I followed the recipe exactly, except for one thing - the nuts. Those who I am going to share this with either don't like nuts :rolleyes:, or can't eat them. I have some chopped toasted pecans that I'm going to sprinkle on my share. :)

Will post a pic once Tyler gets picked up and I'm home from his game.

Not the greatest pic...it doesn't do it justice. Delicious, and will definitely make it again. :yum:

Attachments

• Kay's pineapple cake.jpg
    Kay's pineapple cake.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 603
Awww, thanks for the report Cheryl, and I'm so glad you and Tyler made it together!
You made some "Granny" memories for him and you too. I'm thinking a good sub for the nuts (or addition) would be toasted coconut..thinking of the island theme?

Last edited:
Awww, thanks for the report Cheryl, and I'm so glad you and Tyler made it together!
You made some "Granny" memories for him and you too. I'm thinking a good sub for the nuts (or addition) would be toasted coconut..thinking of the island theme?

Oh yes, that sounds like a great addition, Kay - maybe a quarter cup of so of unsweetened toasted coconut. Yum.

The 'granny' memories are good! My dining room table was filled with bowls of the measured ingredients and Tyler had fun dumping everything in and stirring it up. He was afraid of the hand blender, though. :LOL:

I took several squares of it over to my neighbor and just got a text from her...her family loved it! :yum:

Back
Top Bottom