"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 12-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Senior Cook

How to mail cupcakes without

I want to mail a batch of cupcakes and want them to arrive in tack and all, ya know? How do i need to pack it?

Old 12-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Head Chef

intact, perhaps? ;)
How far/how long will they be in the mail? Unfrosted, I would guess? I find cookies/dense bars easier to ship.
Lots of bubble wrap.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
Senior Cook

lol....i am so embarrassed..."intact" i mean...i was distracted when i was typing this.

from arkansas to denver colorado, and yep...i want to send them with frosting. I will be sending cookies too.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
Head Chef

good luck. They will be stale by the time they arrive, and the frosting will probably be ruined. Unless you overnight them, frozen with dry ice. (special requirements), I simply wouldn't waste the postage on it.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
Senior Cook

If i make the cupcakes tonight and overnight the package without dry ice, then they would be ok? my main concern is them staying intact and icing not thrown everywhere. Is there some cupcake packaging or whatev that can make safe the delivery process?
Old 12-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
Executive Chef

At one time, a long, long time ago, I had limited success with breaking long toothpicks in half and sticking 4 or 5 into the frosting of each cake, (thick, blunt side out), and individually wrapping each one with plastic wrap. Then packing them into a box full of Styrofoam peanuts and marking "fragile" over the entire box. Almost 2/3 made it intact. Good luck!
Old 12-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Certified Cake Maniac

Jessica, do you have a Michael's store or a cake decorating supply store near you? Because you can buy the plastic containers for muffins, etc. A bakery might even be able to sell you some or just buy some muffins at your grocery store and use those containers for your cupcakes. Put the containers into a sturdy cardboard box and pack tight around them. If you are mailing them then I would suggest not frosting them or using a low butter/milk recipe. You might even be able to get these containers online, but I am not sure they will get to you in time to mail your cupcakes.

I hope this helps. I use these to transport wedding cupcakes and they are wonderful.

Edit: Here is a link that might help. Cupcake Containers

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
Master Chef

You can use popcorn as packing material for your individually wrapped cookies. Mail the cupcakes in the muffin pan...you can find inexpensive foil ones. I'd send the frosting along in a jar, though.

I'll never forget the frosted birthday cake my mom sent to me from Illinois to Plattonville, La. I ate it with a spoon. It tasted good, though!
Old 12-07-2009, 12:41 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Selkie, atta girl!!! :-D
Old 12-07-2009, 12:45 AM   #10
Senior Cook

nice! thank you. i like the idea of getting one from a local bakery. i was at the grocery store today, looking at cupcakes in those plastic containers, thinking...if i could only get my hands on one of those...without the cupcakes already in them. :)

Tags
None