"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 03-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
Head Chef

ISO Coffee Cake Recipes

Our church has decided to change the Easter breakfast this year. Instead of our traditional egg casserole meal we will be doing a yogurt bar and coffee cakes. So, I need your very best, melt in your mouth coffee cake recipe and...here's the thing... I would like to know why you think it is so good.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
Head Chef

Okay, what does ISO mean? And who changed the title of my post?

Old 03-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

ISO means 'In Search Of'. And one of the Site Admins changed the title. There is always one in the background making sure that our forum stays true to form. After all, you are searching for a certain recipe. Some folks take umbrage when their offering is changed. The majority don't. They understand. You are more likely to get a bunch of answers when the title says what you want. And you are looking for recipes for a coffee cake.

So folks, step up and help this member. It is for a special church event.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
Executive Chef

The Pioneer Woman: Cinnamon Rolls

The book says it makes 40-50 rolls. The website says it serves about 8. The recipes are slightly different but I'm willing to believe that one cowboy can eat 5 cinnamon rolls!

So I hope my cinnamon roll suggestion is sufficiently near your coffee cake request.

Otherwise, there's always the Bisquick coffee cake recipe. (It's on the box!) I've made that lots of times and it's always good... and quick!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
Master Chef

Jewish Coffee Cake

This cake is rich, moist and delicious! MIL #2 got the recipe from one of her friends.

Jewish Coffee Cake

1 package yellow cake mix
1 package instant vanilla pudding
cup oil
4 eggs
12 oz sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
----filling----
cup sugar
cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup nuts; chopped
----glaze----
1 cup powdered sugar
1//4 cup orange juice

Mix cake ingredients in large bowl. Pour 1/2 batter in greased and floured baking pan. Sprinkle 1/2 the filling over batter. Add the rest of the batter. Top with the rest of the filling. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Mix together powdered sugar and orange juice. Drizzle over top while cake is still warm
Old 03-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Head Chef

Gourmet Greg thanks but it has to be a coffee cake.
Constance, that sounds amazing.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
The Pioneer Woman: Cinnamon Rolls

The book says it makes 40-50 rolls. The website says it serves about 8. The recipes are slightly different but I'm willing to believe that one cowboy can eat 5 cinnamon rolls!

So I hope my cinnamon roll suggestion is sufficiently near your coffee cake request.

Otherwise, there's always the Bisquick coffee cake recipe. (It's on the box!) I've made that lots of times and it's always good... and quick!
I used to make the Bisquick one all the time for the kids. Bisquick is so handy for so many things.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Our church has decided to change the Easter breakfast this year. Instead of our traditional egg casserole meal we will be doing a yogurt bar and coffee cakes. So, I need your very best, melt in your mouth coffee cake recipe and...here's the thing... I would like to know why you think it is so good.
I don't think it would be considered a coffee cake, but I have a recipe for an orange cornmeal pound cake. I like it because the texture is a bit heavy, with an interesting crunch from the cornmeal. Would you like the recipe? I also have a blueberry loaf recipe that could easily be converted to a coffee cake recipe. I love that one because it is so moist and tender.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
Head Chef

COFFEE CAKE

MIX TOGETHER:
3 CUPS FLOUR
1 CUP SUGAR
2 TABLESPOONS BAKING POWDER
1 TEASPOON SALT
2 EGGS
CUP VEGETABLE OIL
1 CUPS MILK

POUR INTO 2/9X13 PANS
TOP WITH STRUESSEL

STRUESSEL TOPPING
1 CUP SALAD OIL
2 CUPS BROWN SUGAR
2 CUPS FLOUR
2 TABLESPOONS CINNAMON
MIX TOGETHER AND SPRINKLE OVER BATTER

BAKE AT 350’ FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES

Note that this makes two pans full....it rises a lot! If you just want one, I'm sure you could divide it.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

My aunt's sour cream coffee cake is a winner if you have a "ring" cake pan (not quite an angelfood pan). I'd be happy to share it if you are interested. I made it into muffins this week to bring to a meeting.

Tags
cake, coffee