"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 12-15-2014, 06:17 AM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO Help with Chocolate Chip Traybake (Bar Cookies)

Hi all,

I need some help. I have this recipe for a chocolate chip traybake which I have tried to make three times already. Each time I try to make it I just end up with a sludgy mess in the bottom of the tray. I've tried reducing the heat, tried reducing the amount of bicarb, tried using a smaller tray.....

100g butter
100g soft brown sugar
50g caster sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
100g plain flour
tsp bicarb
pinch salt
100g chocolate chips.

Cream butter and sugars.
add egg and vanilla
stir in flour, bicarb and salt
Stir in chocolate chips.

Spoon into a greased and floured 12in square tray and bake for 15 mins at gas mark 2 190C 375F for 15 mins until golden.

Things I've noted is that to cover the bottom of a 12 inch tray the mixture has to be spread awfully thin.
The mixture initially rises but before it gets to the golden stage it starts to collapse, initially towards the rear of the oven.

Any advice as to where I am ging wrong? I use a Kenwood chef so the butter/sugar is well creamed. Could I over mix the flour?

Ideally I'd like one of you peeps to try it to see if you get the same results as me. At least I'd know if it was the recipe or me being too heavy handed.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
Master Chef

Hi WP. I don't bake, so I can't give you any advice, but it sounds like your "Choc. chip traybake" is "Choc. Chip Cookie Bars" on this side of the pond.

I know all the bakers here will be along shortly.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

No baker here either, but I've had success with the Tollhouse recipe on the back of the Nestle chocolate chip bag.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
Senior Cook

One thing I have been told is that this is very much like what peeps in the US would call a 'Blondie' recipe.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
Master Chef

OK....gotcha..Blondies. I really like those, kinda like brownies without the chocolate. I'm not much for chocolate.

What the heck is with only Dawg and I on this thread? Neither of us knows a hoot about baking.

Ohhhhh Yooooooooo Hooooooooo.....calling all the bakers.....help needed here....

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Yes, Kayelle, where are Bakechef and our other peeps?
Old 12-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I would definitely say that is a very high ratio of butter and sugar compared to flour. I would also use an 8" pan to bake them in, 12" is way too large for that quantity of ingredients.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
Master Chef

We always called them Congo bars!

Sometimes we added a handful of shredded coconut to them.

http://lostrecipesfound.com/recipe/congo-bar-cookies/
Old 12-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Thanks all.

So, smaller tray and add more flour? Half again more flour?

Tags
chocolate, chocolate chips, recipe, soft brown sugar

ISO Help with Chocolate Chip Traybake (Bar Cookies) Hi all, I need some help. I have this recipe for a chocolate chip traybake which I have tried to make three times already. Each time I try to make it I just end up with a sludgy mess in the bottom of the tray. I've tried reducing the heat, tried reducing the amount of bicarb, tried using a smaller tray..... 100g butter 100g soft brown sugar 50g caster sugar 1 egg 1 tsp vanilla essence 100g plain flour [SIZE=2] tsp bicarb pinch salt 100g chocolate chips. Cream butter and sugars. add egg and vanilla stir in flour, bicarb and salt Stir in chocolate chips. Spoon into a greased and floured 12in square tray and bake for 15 mins at gas mark 2 190C 375F for 15 mins until golden. Things I've noted is that to cover the bottom of a 12 inch tray the mixture has to be spread awfully thin. The mixture initially rises but before it gets to the golden stage it starts to collapse, initially towards the rear of the oven. Any advice as to where I am ging wrong? I use a Kenwood chef so the butter/sugar is well creamed. Could I over mix the flour? Ideally I'd like one of you peeps to try it to see if you get the same results as me. At least I'd know if it was the recipe or me being too heavy handed. [/SIZE] 3 stars 1 reviews