ISO log-type cake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rswils

Assistant Cook
Hello,
My wife and I were vacationing in Montreal last year and had picked up a log type cake in a market there. It wasn't a fresh made cake from a bakery, but a cake that was on the shelf and wrapped in plastic. It looked to be a pretty common cake and reminded me of sort of a fruit cake, very mosit and had maybe a glazed crust. I'm looking for the name of this cake if anyone has any idea. I know there are probably dozens like this, so any info shared would be greatly appreciated. Is there a website out there that's got these types of cakes?
Thanks,
Russ

It's funny how one's brain can play tricks. When I saw your post, I first thought the cake was shaped like a log house. Don't know why my brain did that.:) Then it dawned on me, you meant the cake was in the shape of a "log."

Can you tell us a little more about what was in the cake or the flavor of it? Was it rolled like a jellyroll, etc? More information would help us give you further advice.

Hi Katie,
Thanks for your reply. It was sort of fruity I think. It had a white glaze on it but wasn't rolled like a log cake, just sort of shaped that way...maybe more like a loaf now that I think about it. It reminded me of a German holiday cake I once had...but I think it was a traditional French cake.
Thanks,
Russ

We have a good recipe called the Yule Log.

Yule Log
This festive dessert will become a family favorite in no time. Homemade whipped cream filling and creamy cocoa frosting make this a sweet treat perfect for the holiday season.

Ingredients

Powdered sugar
4 eggs, separated
3/4 C. sugar, divided
3/4 C. ground blanched almonds
1/3 C. all-purpose flour
1/3 C. Hershey's cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 C. water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract

Whipped Cream Filling:
1 1/2 C. cold whipping cream
1/3 C. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Creamy Cocoa Log Frosting:
3 1/2 C. powdered sugar
1/2 C. Hershey's Cocoa
1/2 C. (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
2 Tbs. light corn syrup
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 C. milk
Directions

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 15 1/2x10 1/2x1-inch jelly-roll pan with foil; generously grease foil. Sift powdered sugar onto clean towel. Beat egg yolks in medium bowl 3 minutes on medium speed of mixer. Gradually add 1/2 C. sugar, beating another 2 minutes until thick and lemon-colored. Combine almonds, flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add alternately with water to egg yolk mixture, beating on low speed just until blended. Stir in vanilla and almond extracts.

Beat egg whites in large bowl until foamy. Gradually add 1/4 C. sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold chocolate mixture into beaten egg whites. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake 16-18 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan onto prepared towel. Carefully remove foil. Cool completely.

Cut into four equal rectangles approximately 3 1/2x10 inches. Chill layers while preparing filling and frosting. Place one cake layer on serving plate. Spread one-third (about 1 C.) Whipped Cream Filling evenly over cake layer; top with another cake layer. Repeat with remaining cake and filling, ending with cake layer. Refrigerate about 1 hour before frosting. Generously frost loaf with Creamy Cocoa Log Frosting. Swirl frosting with spatula or score with fork to resemble bark. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving. Garnish with shaved chocolate and holly, if desired. Cover; refrigerate leftover dessert.

To make whipped cream filling, combine whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla in large bowl. Beat until cream is stiff. (Do not over-beat.) Makes about 3 C. filling

To make creamy cocoa frosting, combine powdered sugar and cocoa. Beat butter, 1/2 C. cocoa mixture, corn syrup and vanilla in medium bowl until smooth. Add remaining cocoa mixture alternately with milk, beating until smooth and of spreading consistency. Makes 2-1/2 C. frosting

Yield: 10-12 servings

Back
Top Bottom