"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 04-15-2015, 03:24 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO - Vegan Muffin Recipes

Hi everybody, yesterday evening I made vegan lemon muffins: no eggs, no butter - only water, vegetable oil, lemons, flour, potato starch, salt, turmeric. But they were not so good: they're chewy inside, and being honest a little bit heavy. I was given the recipe by a student of a cooking school (as it was his invention) but now I'm looking for something tastier and with a perfect baking level. Do perfect vegan muffins exist?? Anyone who can help me?

Old 04-15-2015, 03:42 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatesItaly View Post
Hi everybody, yesterday evening I made vegan lemon muffins: no eggs, no butter - only water, vegetable oil, lemons, flour, potato starch, salt, turmeric. But they were not so good: they're chewy inside, and being honest a little bit heavy. I was given the recipe by a student of a cooking school (as it was his invention) but now I'm looking for something tastier and with a perfect baking level. Do perfect vegan muffins exist?? Anyone who can help me?
I have a vegan friend so I have done a bit of research into "converting" food.

The following occurs to me:

-Why potato starch?
-You might have done better with a mixture of milk and water instead of just of water as it would have made the crumb and the crust softer. You could use soy milk, or almond, rice or oat milk, whichever you prefer.
-I week or two ago,"Salt & Pepper" posted his muffin recipe which works well and should be easy enough to adapt to the vegan side.
-Did you cook them for long enough?

Old 04-15-2015, 03:48 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
-Why potato starch?
-You might have done better with a mixture of milk and water instead of just of water as it would have made the crumb and the crust softer. You could use soy milk, or almond, rice or oat milk, whichever you prefer.
-I week or two ago,"Salt & Pepper" posted his muffin recipe which works well and should be easy enough to adapt to the vegan side.
-Did you cook them for long enough?

MadCook, I followed the recipe as it was given to me I've already done other muffins with water only and they were perfect, but next time I'll use milk too. I cooked them for the necessary time, I made the toothpick test and they were perfect... but then inside when I ate one I noticed that something was missing or was too much for this recipe. The student (cousin of a friend of mine) studied a version not suitable for me. Now I'm gonna look for Salt&Pepper recipe!! Thak u for the advice!!!!
Old 04-15-2015, 04:15 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
MadCook, I followed the recipe as it was given to me I've already done other muffins with water only and they were perfect, but next time I'll use milk too. I cooked them for the necessary time, I made the toothpick test and they were perfect... but then inside when I ate one I noticed that something was missing or was too much for this recipe. The student (cousin of a friend of mine) studied a version not suitable for me. Now I'm gonna look for Salt&Pepper recipe!! Thak u for the advice!!!!
Oh no, I wasn't criticising you, I just wondered why the original recipe had potato starch and wondered if that was part if the problem. I would think it might dry the mixture somewhat.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:22 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Well, I don't really know.. Uff. I didn't feel criticised by you, no no! I'm here because I have a problem with that damned vegan muffins and I REALLY appreciate your help
By the end of the month I have to start a course (for work) far far away from home.. In that hour of pause between 'lessons' I have to take care of my stomach in a big city (but in a place with no bars or good restaurants) so.... I'm testing fast recipes to cook by night and then carry with me the day after.. this was the reason why I strongly hoped those muffins would work! sob sob!
Old 04-15-2015, 05:57 AM   #6
Head Chef

Just out of curiosity, did the recipe call for baking powder or baking soda at all ?
If not, Im thinking this would add the fluffiness/ Airiness to it.

Here is a link to a bunch of vegan muffin recipes, all seem to have the baking soda/ powder in it.

Collection of Vegan Muffin Recipes

Larry
Old 04-16-2015, 03:19 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Just out of curiosity, did the recipe call for baking powder or baking soda at all ?
If not, Im thinking this would add the fluffiness/ Airiness to it.

Here is a link to a bunch of vegan muffin recipes, all seem to have the baking soda/ powder in it.

Collection of Vegan Muffin Recipes

Larry
Yes, it had baking powder.. but I suppose it didn't worked.. something went wrong with the quantity dry-wet ingredients.. UFF!! Thanks for your link!!!
Old 04-16-2015, 07:30 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

chia seeds combined with water to replace eggs. I have a vegan friend who is a baker. I'll have to ask her for a muffin recipe...
Old 04-16-2015, 07:17 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Cates, I'm sorry. S&P's recipe, as you've no doubt noticed, was for English muffins. Don't know what I was thinking of! The rest of my post applied to the sort of muffins you were talking about but I had a senior moment and my brain shut down for the couple of seconds it took to do the damage!

I hope you've had success with finding the perfect vegan muffin.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Yes, it had baking powder.. but I suppose it didn't worked.. something went wrong with the quantity dry-wet ingredients.. UFF!! Thanks for your link!!!
Was the baking powder well within date? Has it worked OK for other recipes? It could have lost its potency due to age or it may have a manufacturing fault.

Tags
muffin, muffins, other, vegan