Katie's Black Devil's Food Cake TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tried the recipe tonight. It was great! I didn't have any buttermilk, so I jus made some sour milk by adding a little vinegar to sweet milk.

I made this while my other half was out running an errand. I didn't tell her it had coffee in it (she detests coffee). When I finally served it, she ate it. I asked her if she liked it, and she said she did. I looked at my MIL and asked, "Do you want to tell her, or should I?" PeppA started hounding me about it, until a couple minutes later, she said, "Did you put coffee in it?!?!?!" I snickered. She made a beeline for the bathroom and locked the door. Yup, she yacked it back up.

Honestly, if I had waited for several hours, and then told her, she probably would have used me for a punching bag. If I had waited until tomorrow, she would probably have used me for target practice. I think it's all up in her head about not liking coffee.

At least now, all I have to do is make something with coffee in it, and I'll know that she'll leave it alone.

I tried the recipe tonight. It was great! I didn't have any buttermilk, so I jus made some sour milk by adding a little vinegar to sweet milk.

I made this while my other half was out running an errand. I didn't tell her it had coffee in it (she detests coffee). When I finally served it, she ate it. I asked her if she liked it, and she said she did. I looked at my MIL and asked, "Do you want to tell her, or should I?" PeppA started hounding me about it, until a couple minutes later, she said, "Did you put coffee in it?!?!?!" I snickered. She made a beeline for the bathroom and locked the door. Yup, she yacked it back up.

Honestly, if I had waited for several hours, and then told her, she probably would have used me for a punching bag. If I had waited until tomorrow, she would probably have used me for target practice. I think it's all up in her head about not liking coffee.

At least now, all I have to do is make something with coffee in it, and I'll know that she'll leave it alone.

Golly darn, Allen. I couldn't have asked for a better endorsement of this cake.:wacko: Can't wait to recommend it to others.

Sorry she didn't (?) like it. But, more, how did you like it? (Great is okay.) I would be interested. I know you got it ALL to yourself, but was that your intention?;)

Golly darn, Allen. I couldn't have asked for a better endorsement of this cake.:wacko: Can't wait to recommend it to others.

Sorry she didn't (?) like it. But, more, how did you like it? (Great is okay.) I would be interested. I know you got it ALL to yourself, but was that your intention?;)

ROTFLMAO!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

It was great. I've got to make it again, preferably with the buttermilk. I only got three pieces (out of twelve). The kids all got a piece, MIL got at least two pieces, and PeppA got once (that made a reappearance). There was one piece that was MIA when I got up the next morning. I'm assuming either MIL or the oldest boy got it. I know my MIL was up at 0500 for a breathing treatment, so she might have "helped herself". She definitely has a sweet tooth.

Don't GET me started!

I may have to post a recipe I have for Chocolate Pudding Cake. The resulting product is like a large brownie floating over it's own hot fudge sauce. Can't remember if it gets Kahlua or not.

Don't GET me started!

I may have to post a recipe I have for Chocolate Pudding Cake. The resulting product is like a large brownie floating over it's own hot fudge sauce. Can't remember if it gets Kahlua or not.

OH!!!! That sounds wonderful...Please post the recipe!!!:bounce::clap:

Katie....
I am going to use this for legogirls' birthday party cake on Saturday...
:)
but I'm turning it into Black Forest and putting cherry pie filling between to layers of it.....
will my filling need to be thickened a bit or will this be a soft enough cake that the cherries wont squish out when I slice it?
Now to find a sinful chocolate frosting......

cake is served at 3 if you can't stand the drooling folks...

Suz
this is a wonderful moist cake..We love it and serve it with just powdered sugar on top, if we want to be fancy we put a dollop of whipped cream...You can't lose with this cake.
kades

thank you!
I'll be sure to snap a pic with her face full of cake and post.

Lefse, the cake recipe I sent you also has the coffee in it but you don't taste it, it just deepens the flavour and moistens the cake. Katie, I have a TNT recipe as well but am looking forward to trying yours.

Laurie, that's saved on my email so I can turn computer on at the kids' house and make it for them, all major chocolate lovers........husband, not so much regarding cakes/browniews/cookies, but chunks of rollos or peanut butter cups or doves dark or or or or, that's fine with him, his favo, go figure

Hi,

I wanted to try this cake out but was wondering what would qualify as strong coffee :)

Thankyou!
I have some instant espresso that I mix up to make the amount you need and it works wonders..This cake is wonderful and moist all alone..One thing to remember Katie say's it is more like a liquid than a batter, I say the same so Don't panic just continue on and enjoy a delightful cake.

kadesma

Sorry, BettyR, I promised I'd post this several days ago, but time got away from me. Here's the chocolate cake recipe I told you about:

KATIE’S BLACK DEVIL’S FOOD CAKE

(Serves 10 to 12)​

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1¾ cup granulated sugar
½ cup cocoa
½ tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. baking soda
1 egg
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1 cup boiling strong coffee

Grease and flour one 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan. Set aside.

Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add egg, oil and milk and stir until well blended. Gently stir boiling coffee into mixture. This will make a very thin batter. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 50 minutes. Frost as desired or serve dusted with powdered sugar. Note: To make sour milk, stir 1 tablespoon lemon juice into 1 cup milk. Let stand a few minutes to allow the milk to curdle.

Enjoy!

I saw this yesterday, had all the ingredients, and decided to make it. It is very moist and delicious--can't stay out of it :mrgreen:. I'm not a baker by any means, so my cake is not perfect, but it sure tastes good.

3424087623_8ede4c29b9.jpg

Now you've gone and done it! You're hooked. It's easy to just keep eating it. It freezes wonderfully, too. Glad you like it. I have some leftover coffee in the fridge that has that cake's name on it.

I've even cut the recipe in half and baked it in an 8- x 8-inch pan. Comes out great.

Back
Top Bottom