Lazy Daisy Oatmeal Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Found the recipe my exmother in law always fixed. I couldn't find the recipe she gave me and I don't dare call her (long distance) otherwise it would only make her thoughts of me true. That I never could keep anything in order. She often commented about how I managed the house. She has not only one but four houses she has to keep up. Anyway, I just thought this was good cake and I am planning on taking to family get together tomorrow. Talk about planning and organization. Not me! Everything last minute. Story of my life!

Oatmeal cake

prep time: 15 Minutes
cook time: 1 Hour
chill time: 30 Minutes
time to table: 1 Hour 45 Minutes

Ingredients

1-1/4 cups boiling water
1 cup Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
5 tablespoons margarine or butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 egg whites or 1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

Topping

1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
3 tablespoons fat-free milk
2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted

Preparation

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour 8 or 9-inch square baking pan.

2. For cake, pour boiling water over oats in medium bowl; mix well. In large bowl, beat margarine and sugars until well blended. Add egg whites and vanilla; beat well. Add reserved oat mixture and combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and, if desired, salt; mix well. Pour batter into pan.

3. Bake 55 to 65 minutes (8-inch pan) or 50 to 60 minutes (9-inch pan) or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer cake in pan to wire rack.

4. For topping, combine all ingredients in small bowl; mix well. Spread evenly over top of warm cake. Broil about 4 inches from heat 1 to 2 minutes or until topping is bubbly. Watch closely; topping burns easily. Cool cake in pan on wire rack. Store tightly covered at room temperature.

Servings: 12 SERVINGS

Last edited by a moderator:
I made that cake a lot when my kids were home, when we needed cake. When we moved to the country there were no grocery stores here - the nearest one about 30 miles away, so whatever we had to eat, I cooked from scratch. This was good to carry too. I'm sure your family will enjoy it.

Health

Thanks licia. My family stickler about health and eating sweets is not one thing they care to indulge. I just thought this was kind of health cake. What you think?

ITK, as far as a cake goes, it doesn't seem too unhealthy. If you use the egg whites rather than the whole egg, it's relatively low in fat compared to a lot of other cakes, especially ones with heavy buttercream icings. Thanks for posting this--I'll have to try it soon!

Icing

Why is it when you are in the middle of fixing the cake you find you are low on something? This is starting to happen to me pretty regularly and I think it is due to the fac t I had so much in the freezer before it all had to be thrown out due to power outage or else I am really having senior moments often. No comments, either one or other. Anyway, I doubled this recipe in put in one pan but I can't put it under broiler for icing. think I should just let it heat in oven longer? They'll eat it one way or other since I ent through all this so I will just put back in oven when I have icing prepared. I just don't like to run to the store to get something. I only realize then that I am not prepared the way I should be. Guess I can't be perfect, I just hope it turns out okay. Does it bother you when you fix something for relatives?

Pa

Hope you have all the ingredients before you start. Does it upset you too, when you have to go to the store? I often wonder what people think I do when I have to go and get something in a hurry!

No Worry

Well, they ate it, all of it! They asked for the recipe and I felt guilty due to the fact thought everyone knew about this. It is such a simple cake to fix and when everyone wanted to eat it, makes you feel effort worth it. Thanks all for your comments, sure helps!

Back
Top Bottom