"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 09-13-2006, 12:09 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Cool

It already has a 2 hr+ baking time. The center was as done as the rest. You think the sifting makes a difference. Gosh this is tough considering the time involved. But I love you, I MEAN your suggestions. I'll get cracking on it right away !!!

Old 09-13-2006, 12:09 PM   #12
Head Chef

it is GROUND ALMONDS! You take almonds, you grind them. I have always been able to buy them in the home baking section of a supermarket. Or in healthfood shops. Already ground up and in a little plastic bag. But I can't see why you could not grind whole, blanched (SKINLESS) almonds in a food processor.

Almonds, all ground up, looks a bit like biscuit crumbs, feels soft, acts in a similar but more...more way than flour.

See the links below, first is a picture (???) second is an excellent descripton from UK's premier supermarket, third another use of them. Does that help?

Old 09-13-2006, 12:17 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Cool

I bet it's great but man it's ugly !!!

I bet the addition of the almond flavor will be marvelous. Thanx lulu, again.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:24 PM   #14
Head Chef

Well, I haven't made that, but I thought it might give you an idea of how the almonds can be used, along with the other recipe I sent, which is the one I suggest you try to give you some other perspective on your project. I think its kind of beautiful, though. Looks like it would taste good.

The flavour of ground almonds can be very subtle. Its a textural thing I am going for, although inevitably you will get a flavour. But my guess is that the butter milk is the predominate flavour, then the cheese? And will continue to be I imagine.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:32 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Cool

Ness tells me the buttermilk was a little strong so I'll be using 1 tbsp instead of 2

Some of these flavors may work together, such as almond, vanilla or buttermilk as long as they remain subtle. Do you think ???
Old 09-13-2006, 12:36 PM   #16
Head Chef

Well, I imagine so. I don't use buttermilk very often at all. I use it to soak chicken breasts in. Its available in Uk but not very common. I haven't even looked for it in Italy. But I use almond and vanilla all the time, and you can but try with the buttermilk, I imagine it would be nice.

But did you like it with 2 spoons of buttermilk? Its your impossible recipe you are trying to nail here...
Old 09-13-2006, 12:57 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Cool

yes, I was very surprised how nice it was and may have overdone it a bit. Here in the states, buttermilk is an old-time favorite. My grandmother used it all the time but anymore all I hear of it is "buttermilk pancakes". I do want it to be less prominent, so yea, I'll use less
Old 09-13-2006, 02:28 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
ya 2 different kettles of fish here.. buttermilk pancakes SHOULD taste like BM. Cheesecake not so much!

How long do you let your cheesecakes cool in the oven i let mine cool for a few hours if not over night.. i get no cracks and a lovely finish dont over load with flavours

almonds
buttermilk
vanilla
cheese

why mix them all together.. i prefer a dominate flavour in a cheesecake not 100000 lil flavours this aint wine
Old 09-13-2006, 02:30 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
Almond flour is simply ground blanched almonds. Recipes dating back to medieval times call for it as a thickener, a replacement for wheat flour, and a base for cakes and puddings. It doesn't show up a lot these days as an ingredient, but is still essential to certain Viennese confections
Old 09-13-2006, 02:40 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Cool

That was funny enough to make me smile. I get tired of lemon or vanilla. Buttermilk, if not over done is nice. I want to try this almond thing but I don't have any at the moment.

I cool in an open oven until I can take it out with my bare hands then on a rack then in the fridge overnight.

I'm adding those two egg yolks you mentioned and avoid sifting. I'm out of sour cream so it's eliminated this time. Just one tablespoon of buttermilk powder and no vanilla. Also I'm going to beat it a little less. I pumped too much into it last night.

Tags
None