My Mother's Chocolate Cake Recipe, TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lucia-mia

Assistant Cook
This is my mother's chocolate cake recipe; it's somewhat rich for me so I've never made it, but I know the recipe works.

8 oz plain chocolate, melted (she used Cadbury's Bourneville - any good-quality dark chocolate would work)
5 eggs, separated
4 oz butter
6 1/2 oz caster sugar (superfine sugar in the USA?)
3 oz ground almonds
1 1/2 oz self-raising flour

Whip egg whites until stiff
Cream fat and sugar
Add melted chocolate and egg yolks, and mix
Fold in nuts and flour
Gently fold in the beaten egg whites

Put into a well-greased 8" cake tin (one of the deep ones, not one for layer cakes), and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.

When cold (preferably the next day), slice the cake through the middle and spread with a thin layer of apricot jam. Sandwich back together, and coat with chocolate covering (not sure about the recipe for this, but I know it involved more Bourneville).

Apricot jam with chocolate sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing this recipe Lucia! Muchisimas gracias.

Well, I just printed that one out! Like I need another chocolate cake (or chocolate anything) recipe! :rolleyes: It sounds FABulous!

Lucia, I'll bet she made a glaze with more of that dark chocolate. That's what I would do. :)

Thanks!

I think that's probably what she did, but I'm not sure. I know she got really irritated with dad once, who saw half a block of Bourneville left over from the cake and ate it, so I expect she was wanting to use it for the glaze. I just don't remember what she used along with the chocolate to soften it.

Also, come to think of it, she might have used one of those cake tins with the removable base. I know one of her cakes tended to stick fairly badly even when the tin was well greased, and it could have been this one.

Back
Top Bottom