My Very First Cheesecake And There's Too Much Batter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
So, I decided to use Martha Stewart's recipe for New York-Style Cheesecake.
I own a 9 inch springform pan, rather than the 10 inch size Martha says to use.
Her recipe calls for seven, yes, I said 7 eight ounce chubs of Cream Cheese, a cup of Sour Cream and 5 eggs, along with some sugar, flour and vanilla.
MAN!
That made ALOT of batter!

So here's my question as my cake is in the oven and I've got probably enough batter in the `fridge to make another one...

Can I put the rest of that ginormous recipe in to an airtight container and save it til tomorrow?

So, I decided to use Martha Stewart's recipe for New York-Style Cheesecake.
I own a 9 inch springform pan, rather than the 10 inch size Martha says to use.
Her recipe calls for seven, yes, I said 7 eight ounce chubs of Cream Cheese, a cup of Sour Cream and 5 eggs, along with some sugar, flour and vanilla.
MAN!
That made ALOT of batter!

So here's my question as my cake is in the oven and I've got probably enough batter in the `fridge to make another one...

Can I put the rest of that ginormous recipe in to an airtight container and save it til tomorrow?

I'd go with yes. No reason for there to be a problem. Let it come to room temperature tomorrow, then bake.

Wow, that's a LOT of cream cheese for one cheesecake! :ohmy:

Like Jim said, I think it would be OK until tomorrow. Or, maybe you could bake another one in a pie pan, and just extend the crust up the edges of the pan...?

Just thinking out loud - the water in the eggs will mix with the flour and cause some gluten formation. I wonder if that might make the cake a little tough if you wait to bake it.

I'd go with yes. No reason for there to be a problem. Let it come to room temperature tomorrow, then bake.

I'll give it a go manana Bigjim

Wow, that's a LOT of cream cheese for one cheesecake! :ohmy:

Like Jim said, I think it would be OK until tomorrow. Or, maybe you could bake another one in a pie pan, and just extend the crust up the edges of the pan...?

I thought of that too Cheryl, but my pie pan is still up in Northern Arizona with Mrs. DF after Thanksgiving, left the last of the Pumpkin Pie with her, so...

014.JPG

Do you have any little ramikin dishes, or custard cups Kgirl? I'd put some crust crumbs on the bottom, and have little individual servings.

... and sadly, K, I only have a couple of custard cups and WAY too much filling...

001.JPG

Just thinking out loud - the water in the eggs will mix with the flour and cause some gluten formation. I wonder if that might make the cake a little tough if you wait to bake it.

Lastly, GG, this is my fear, so, we'll see what happens.

Thank goodness I have a freezer chest to stash TWO cheesecakes ;)

That sounds like a double batch to me. I do have quit a few spring form pans too, even 5" SF pans just for the extra batter.
As far as the cracking. I mix in 3 TBSP of flour to the batter, which helps to avoid cracking. I use between 4 & 5 - 8oz pks of cream cheese. and that's for a 10" pan & still have left over batter.
I would find another recipe and work from there. The bottom line is? How did it taste?
I would like to know what temp you cooked it at?

That sounds like a double batch to me. I do have quit a few spring form pans too, even 5" SF pans just for the extra batter.
As far as the cracking. I mix in 3 TBSP of flour to the batter, which helps to avoid cracking. I use between 4 & 5 - 8oz pks of cream cheese. and that's for a 10" pan & still have left over batter.
I would find another recipe and work from there. The bottom line is? How did it taste?
I would like to know what temp you cooked it at?

S&P, I followed Martha's recipe
New York-Style Cheesecake Recipe & Video | Martha Stewart
so there is flour and you bake at 350 for 45 minutes and then lower the heat to 325 for the last 30 minutes or so...

Just wanted to say that I stopped trusting Martha anything when I invested in her company back in 2000 because I thought she was all "that".
It was my own money and $1,800 invested, turned into $244.00 today. Martha who?

Last edited:
Here's the recipe I use for a 10" springform pan and a picture of the result. Do not over mix the batter and do not overbake. That contributes to cracking.

1591-albums817-picture4291.jpg

CHEESECAKE

For the Crust:
2⅓ C Graham Cracker Crumbs
(⅔ of a 14-15 Oz. Box, 10 oz.)
¼ C Sugar
½ C Unsalted Butter, melted

For the Filling:
2 Lb Cream Cheese, room temp.
1½ C Sugar
¼ C Flour
5 Ea Eggs
16 Oz Sour Cream
¼ C Milk
1 Tb Vanilla Extract

Position the oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375° F.

Wrap the bottom and sides of a 10-inch spring form pan with heavy-duty foil, crimping it tightly under the top edge of the pan.

Make the Crust:

In a food processor, process the crackers and sugar to a fine crumb.

Add the melted butter and pulse until the crumbs are uniformly moist.

Put the crumb mixture into the pan and distribute it evenly over the bottom and half way up the sides of the pan using a flat-bottomed glass, can or cup with straight sides.

Bake 8-10 minutes. Put the pan on a cooling rack. Leave the oven on.

Make the Filling:

Beat the cream cheese and sugar at high speed until well blended, scraping down the sides of the bowl and beater several times to ensure complete blending.

Mix in the flour. You cannot over mix to this point. The intent is to beat air bubbles into the cheese and sugar mixture.

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating each just until combined before adding the next. Scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary to ensure complete mixing.

Beat in the sour cream, then the milk and vanilla, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.

Pour the filling into the crust.

Place the foil wrapped spring form pan into a large roasting or sauté pan that is at least an inch larger than the spring form pan on all sides. Pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to come half way up sides of the springform.

Put the pans into the oven and bake the cheesecake until just set in center and the top is slightly puffed and browned, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Turn off oven and keep the door closed. Leave the cake in the oven for 1 hour.

Remove the spring form from the larger pan and cool the cheesecake in the springform on a cooling rack.

Run a thin knife around the pan between the side of the cheesecake and the side of the pan to separate the cake from the side of the pan. Refrigerate uncovered.

When the cheesecake is completely chilled in the refrigerator, cover it with plastic wrap and continue to refrigerate overnight before removing from the pan.

Slice and serve the cheesecake directly from the spring form pan bottom or remove it to a flat rimless plate or cake dish for serving.

To easily remove the cheesecake from the pan bottom, heat the bottom of the cake pan for 10 seconds on a gas or hot electric burner to soften the butter in the crust then slide the cake onto a serving platter using a cake spatula or similar to assist in the transfer.

Slice with a long thin knife dipped in hot water (shake off excess) before each cut.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom