Pumpkin Flans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Wasn't quite sure which catagory to post this under. Since I don't have a blowtorch, think this is a nice variation of creme brulee, without singing your eyebrows. How about a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side :)

Pumpkin Flan with Brown Sugar Crust

1/2 cup brown sugar
5 eggs
1 cup pumpkin puree
2/3 cup granulated sugar
Dash of salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

Sprinkle the bottom of 8 half-cup ramekins or other single-serving size baking dishes with half of the brown sugar.

In a mixer, beat the eggs. Add pumpkin puree, granulated sugar, salt and cinnamon. Stir in the milk, cream and vanilla extract.

Pour mixture into baking dishes. Set baking dishes into a large baking pan. Fill the pan with water so that it reaches halfway up the sides of the flan dishes. Bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven.

Remove flans from water or they will continue to cook. Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes. You can prepare the flan up to this point ahead of time, even the day before. Refrigerate.

Heat oven to broil. Sprinkle the flans with the remaining brown sugar and pop under broiler for a couple of minutes or until nicely browned. Serves 8.

Just stuck a pan of these in the oven. I added a couple of grates of nutmeg because....well, I just had to.

Can't wait to try one later today.

:w00t2: gnam gnam!! I love flans and we have plenty of pumpkins waiting to be cooked... this will be very high on our "to be tried" list!! thanx!

Hold up a sec, ladies. The oven timer just dinged and when I went to check them they were still quite liquidy - and I'm not just talking jiggly centers.

I just boosted the heat to 350 and set the timer for 20 minutes. Will report back.

ok, waiting patiently...................... is it done yet?.................................. how 'bout now?........................... what's it look like?.................. now?................... is it still jigglin'?...........................................what about now? hmmm?
265.gif

Nope - not yet

just checked again and there's still too much surface jiggle. Another 15 minutes should do it, I think.

Shannon! Back away from this stove or I'll smack you with this wooden spoon.

Time Out, Shannon!

OK, OK - just took them out of the oven. Put down that spatula!

They look pretty good now. If the digi camera was working I would take a pic for you. Now, aren't you supposed to be running to the store?

mudbug said:
OK, OK - just took them out of the oven. Put down that spatula!

They look pretty good now. If the digi camera was working I would take a pic for you. Now, aren't you supposed to be running to the store?

41.gif
yeeeey!! so how does it taste? What was the final count of the oven temperature/baking time? You gotta tell me unlike Shannon I was sitting very quietly and waited for you to finish!!:ROFLMAO:

Patience, urmaniac - mish gave strict instructions to let them cool.
(I noticed you were on your good behavior.)

OK, here's what happened:
60 minutes at 250 degrees
20 minutes at 350
15 more minutes at 350, then right out of the water bath to the counter, where they are firming up nicely now.

Oh....My....God - Thank You, Mish

Just in the interest of research, mind....

Had to sample one to reassure shan and urmaniac about the outcome.

Girls!!....you must make this as soon as possible. It is too good. And this is without the final flourish--which I most certainly intend to do--of sprinkling some more brown sugar on the top and running them under the broiler.

mish, I think the lagniappe should be whipped cream instead of vanilla ice cream. Believe it or not, ice cream would be too heavy for this delectable confection.

:clap: :clap: :clap: wheeee, congrats Mudbug!! I can almost smell the sweet aroma... You have done yourself proud, enjoy the complete work with the finishing touch and mounds of whipped cream!! Soon it will be my turn:-p

(bowing) thank you, thank you, but it's all mish's idea.

I want a full report from you, and I promise to sit quietly while you go about your preparations.

So did it fill 8 ramekins? It is just me and my daughter, so I was thinking of cutting the recipe in half? I have always made flans in ramekins, do you think I could bake the full recipe in a ceramic pie dish?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom