REC-Chocolate Sour Cream Pound Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
I had promised a few of you about a month ago that as soon as I got my mom's recipe for chocolate pound cake that I would post it. Well, here it is & I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get it!

1C. butter or margarine, softened(Mom always uses butter)
2C. sugar
1C. brown sugar, firmly packed
6 large eggs
2 1/2C. all purpose flour
1/4tsp. baking soda
1/2C. cocoa
1(8oz.)carton sour cream
2tsp. vanilla extract
powdered sugar, optional

Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until soft & creamy, about 2 minutes. Gradually add sugars, beating at medium speed for 5 to 7 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.

Combine flour, baking soda, & cocoa; add to butter mixture alternately woth sour cream, beginning & ending with flour mixture. Mix at lowest speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla.

Spoon batter into a well greased & floured 10 inch tube pan. Bake at 350F for 1 hour & 20 minutes or until tooth[ick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes; remove from pan & cool completely on wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.

I'm sure it is very good. I will try it as soon as I need a dessert. It is very hard for us to use an entire cake unless we have company. I find myself doing without good desserts and stick to fruit.

Licia, I know the feeling! My mom made one for us to take to the lake last month & before we left I cut the cake in half & wrapped part of it to be frozen. The other half we took with us. Which reminds me, I need to get it out of the freezer so we can have a special treat soon!

Lovely recipe :) Sometimes I use leftover pound cake cut into thick slices in place of the cookies in an ice cream sandwich, and I think this recipe would be perfect for that!

Hi crewsk,

It really is a fun change of pace, and it really reminds me of the sort of "cookie" they use (traditioanlly, before the day of Oreos and other such cookies were used as ice cream sandwiches) in "commercial" ice cream sandwiches.

As pound cake is so dense (usually) and solid, it really holds up well against the melting ice cream. If your pound cake was wide enough to begin with you can even use cookie cutters or biscuit cutters to mark our circular shapes (like a cookie). Though I think the natural long, lean shape of your average pound cake gives them (the sandwiches) that old-school look :mrgreen:

I don't have a tube pan (never seen one actually) could I make it in a loaf tin? It sounds great, definitely one my family would love, DH loves Sara lee pound cake.

MrsMac, you should be able to use loaf pans without a problem. I've done that before with pound cake recipes. Like crewsk said, you will need 2 pans (then you can have one to freeze for later if they last that long in your house!). Just be sure to watch the baking time as it probably won't take them quite as long to bake than if you were using one large tube pan.

Mudbug & marmalady, thank you!! My mom had half of one of these in her freezer & gave it to me last night. I have some strawberries & more pudding than I know what to do with.

Back
Top Bottom