Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Icing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdtractorgirl

Assistant Cook
1 box white cake mix
1 box strawberry jello (3 oz.)
½ cup strawberries
½ cup oil
½ cup cold water
3 eggs

Puree the strawberries and pour into a mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients, mix well, then pour into greased and floured 13 x 9 inch pan. Bake until done.

Frosting:

½ cup butter
½ cup strawberries
1 lb. powdered sugar

Once again, puree the strawberries then add the remaining ingredients. Mix well and pour over cake. May need to use just ¼ cup strawberries or icing could be too thin.

1 box white cake mix
1 box strawberry jello (3 oz.)
½ cup strawberries
½ cup oil
½ cup cold water
3 eggs

Puree the strawberries and pour into a mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients, mix well, then pour into greased and floured 13 x 9 inch pan. Bake until done.

Frosting:

½ cup butter
½ cup strawberries
1 lb. powdered sugar

Once again, puree the strawberries then add the remaining ingredients. Mix well and pour over cake. May need to use just ¼ cup strawberries or icing could be too thin.

I got that exact recipe from my first MIL, and it is delicious! It is quite sweet, though.

I would love to make your cake, but need the temp and time

Thanks
Frieda - Kentucky

Constance is offline now so that is why she isn't answering you. Knowing cakes, I would say bake it at 350 for about 25 - 30 minutes, but check it after about 20 minutes or so to see how it is doing. It is done when it springs back if you touch the center or stick a toothpick in and it becomes clean.

Connie, if you come back and I am wrong, please correct me! :)

Constance is offline now so that is why she isn't answering you. Knowing cakes, I would say bake it at 350 for about 25 - 30 minutes, but check it after about 20 minutes or so to see how it is doing. It is done when it springs back if you touch the center or stick a toothpick in and it becomes clean.

Connie, if you come back and I am wrong, please correct me! :)

No, you are completely correct! I apologize for not typing that out earlier! It should have been included. Thank you very much, LPBeier.

This is the way we make Strawberry Cake at Chez Julia. I have to say that this white cake is the lightest, featheriest one I have ever tasted!

My favorite person to cook for recommends it!

Strawberry Layer Cake

Both cake and frosting can be made and refrigerated a couple of days ahead of time, but don’t assemble the cake until the day you plan to serve it. We use top-quality Strawberry Preserves for the filling. The recipe for the light-as-air white cake was a “gift” from my friend, Frances Dinkins.

makes one 9-inch 2-layer cake

for the cake:

1/4 pound (4 ounces / 8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup pure cane granulated sugar
1 teaspoon lemon extract
2 1/4 cups cake flour, sifted twice
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
4 extra large egg whites, beaten with 1/4 cup sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Cream butter and one cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Add lemon extract.

2. Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add to the butter/sugar mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Add vanilla.
3. Whip the egg whites until foamy, then add the additional 1/4 cup sugar and whip until fluffy, but not dry. Stir one-third of the egg whites into the batter to lighten it, then gently but thoroughly fold in the remaining whites.
4. Pour into the prepared pans and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean. Allow cake layers to cool in their pans for 10 minutes, then remove them and allow cooling to complete on cake racks.

To Assemble the Cake:

1. Put the bottom cake layer on a serving plate. Stir the filling well so that it is easy to spread. Spread a generous amount of Strawberry Preserves on the cake. Then place the second layer on top of the filling.
2. Spoon a generous amount of frosting on the center of the cake and frost the top and the sides. Make sure the cake is well covered. Decorate the finished cake with sliced strawberries, or the teensy whole berries that are in our markets in June.

Strawberry Buttercream

makes about 2 1/2 cups

1 1/4 cups unsalted butter
2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
4 extra-large egg yolks
3 tablespoons strawberry preserves (or 1/2 cup Sorrell Ridge Strawberry Conserves-spreadable fruit)
1/2 cup puréed fresh strawberries

1. Using electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in yolks, then pureed berries and preserves. Cover tightly and refrigerate until set.

2. This mixture can be prepared 2 days ahead. When ready to frost cake, bring to spreadable room temperature.

Teacher’s tips: 1. This recipe can be made as well with apricots, peaches, raspberries, or any fruit flavor you desire.

2. If you are squeamish about using raw eggs in the frosting, you could use pasteurized eggs, available in the freezer case of your super market

This is the recipe my first MIL gave me...

Mae Davis’ Strawberry Cake

1 pkg white cake mix
1 pkg strawberry jello
½ cup water
4 eggs
3 tbls extra flour
1 cup oil
¾ of 10 oz pkg frozen strawberries in juice, thawed

Dump all together and beat 4 minutes. Bake in 350 degree oven 30-35 minutes. Frost when cool.

Icing

Beat ¼ stick softened butter & remaining berries with enough powdered sugar to spread.

I was given this recipe in 1967, so it's pretty old.

The first time I baked this cake was in January 1959 (married Dec. 1958). My step mil made it and my husband liked it, so I gave it a try. Been baking it now for over 50 years - a real keeper!!

the cake

I made this cake Monday and it was great my best friend LOVE it !!! she big strawberry fan , nice texture and moist very tasty .thank you for sharing this recipe.

fresh instead of frozen strawberries okay in cake?

I have seen several recipes for strawberry cake that call for frozen strawberries--thawed first, of course.

Is it possible to substitute fresh ones? And if so, how do I determine the equivalent of fresh to frozen strawberries?

Thanks for any help! :ermm:

ChefJune - that cake recipe sounds wonderful. I have a couple of quick questions for you. In the first step for assembling the cake, it says:
Stir the filling well so that it is easy to spread. Spread a generous amount of Strawberry Preserves on the cake.
Is the filling mentioned just the strawberry preserves, or is there another component I missed?

Also, in the frosting recipe:
3 tablespoons strawberry preserves (or 1/2 cup Sorrell Ridge Strawberry Conserves-spreadable fruit)
1/2 cup puréed fresh strawberries
Does it really jump from 3 tablespoons to 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) based on the brand you use? Or is the 1/2 cup conserves a substitute for the fresh puréed strawberries?
Thank you! This recipe is definitely going in my stockpile. I'm just bummed it's not strawberry season anymore!

Back
Top Bottom