"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 04-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #31
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Can you? I thought you needed special chocolates to bake with. Chocolates that aren't palatable by themselves unless mixed with sugar and such. But then I don't bake. Not sure where I picked up that misinformation...
Thanks

But the recipe was only for vanilla, right? They didn't say you could substitute other ice creams?
It sounds like you're talking about either cocoa, or unsweetened Baker's chocolate.

Cocoa comes in a powder and you need to add sugar and some sort of fat (usually butter) to it.

Baker's chocolate used to come in small squares that were wrapped in wax paper. It has the fat, but little or no sugar.

Both are unsweetened for a number of reasons (reduce spoilage, minimize bugs, allow one product that could be used in many recipes, etc), not the least of which was to keep it safe from human pilfering. A child only has to bite into a square of Baker's chocolate once to learn it is NOT tasty in that form.

These days everyone bakes with artisan chocolate from cocoa beans grown on at least three different continents and blended by Amazonian wood-sprites, and those are definitely palatable out of the package. Somewhere along the line people decides chocolate was like wine (you shouldn't cook with anything of a quality you wouldn't want to eat). But, you can find the old unsweetened Baker's chocolate if you look for it :D.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Baker's brand baking chocolate doesn't contain soy lecithin. Almost all other chocolate does. For some people, like me, this matters.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:15 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

All winter I have not felt like cooking or baking. So unlike me. But my doldrums seem to be flying away. I have a SIL that loves sweets. So he doesn't know it yet, but he is going to be gaining weight. And maybe my daughter also. Then there is the Pirate to feed and Spike has never been known to pass up something good to eat.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:16 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Baker's brand baking chocolate doesn't contain soy lecithin. Almost all other chocolate does. For some people, like me, this matters.
I have always bought Baker's. I started only because it is made in Boston. And a lot cheaper than other brands.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #35
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It was on my friend's list of safe ones for people with peanut and tree nut allergies too, if I remember correctly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #36
Wine Guy

What exactly causes the cupcakes to rise? I would think you would need to use an ice cream that contains eggs.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
What exactly causes the cupcakes to rise? I would think you would need to use an ice cream that contains eggs.
Self-rising flour is the other ingredient.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #38
Wine Guy

Oops. Missed that. *palm smacks forehead*
Old 04-18-2014, 02:41 PM   #39
Head Chef

ShellyCooks asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyCooks View Post
Has anyone tried making these two ingredient cupcakes?
The questions and answers on this thread have been quite informative

But I'm still wondering----- has any member here actually made one of the two ingredient cupcakes? And eaten one? And what did they think about them?

And --- no, I haven't yet made one. Probably won't until I hear from someone who has reported back on them. That may between between the next few minutes or until **** freezes over.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm not planning on making them any time soon. I just posted this as a matter of cooking interest.

Give it a try and let us all know.

Tags
cake, cakes, cupcakes