Use Neufchatel cheese for cheesecake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anytime I have cracks in the top (which is often!) I garnish with something like shaved or curled chocolate. White chocolate goes well with raspberry. Glad it turned out for you, sounds like it was great!

It's been my experience that cracks om top of the custard are caused by overcooking the cheesecake. As the custard gets hot, the protriens in the dairy start to tighten up, pulling toward thecenter. The crust is firm, and holds the edges of the cheesecake custard. So, everthing is pulling toward the center, but the crust won't let it go there. Something has to give. The curd loses its integrity and breaks, or pulls apart to relieve the stress.

To avoid this, coo the custard until it is just underdone, that is, it still jiggles a little in the middle when the pan is shaken. When the cheesecake is removed from the heat, the custard's stored heat will finish it, giving you a very creamy, and smooth cheesecake.

When it cooks to the point of creaking, the custard still tastes fabulous, but the texture is more solid, and almost like paste. I think I learned this info right here in DC Now, since I learned to cook my cheesecakes properly, giving them the creamy texture, they are sought after by those who used to be my co-workers.

What's your favorite cheesecake topping? Mine is a sweetened sour cream, on a New York Cheesecake.

Seeeeeya; Chief Lonfwind of the North

Anytime I have cracks in the top (which is often!) I garnish with something like shaved or curled chocolate. White chocolate goes well with raspberry. Glad it turned out for you, sounds like it was great!

It's been my experience that cracks om top of the custard are caused by overcooking the cheesecake. As the custard gets hot, the proteins in the dairy start to tighten up, pulling toward the center. The crust is firm, and holds the edges of the cheesecake custard. So, everything is pulling toward the center, but the crust won't let it go there. Something has to give. The curd loses its integrity and breaks, or pulls apart to relieve the stress.

To avoid this, cook the custard until it is just underdone, that is, it still jiggles a little in the middle when the pan is shaken. When the cheesecake is removed from the heat, the custard's stored heat will finish it, giving you a very creamy, and smooth cheesecake.

When it cooks to the point of creaking, the custard still tastes fabulous, but the texture is more solid, and almost like paste. I think I learned this info right here in DC Now, since I learned to cook my cheesecakes properly, giving them the creamy texture, they are sought after by those who used to be my co-workers.

What's your favorite cheesecake topping? Mine is a sweetened sour cream, on a New York Cheesecake.

Seeeeeya; Chief Lonfwind of the North

Now y'all got me wanting cheese cake!!! Have not made one since I did the mushroom cooking challenge here on DC many years ago.

Oyster mushroom cheese cake... what EVER possessed me.

One word...DON'T lol

Now y'all got me wanting cheese cake!!! Have not made one since I did the mushroom cooking challenge here on DC many years ago.

Oyster mushroom cheese cake... what EVER possessed me.

One word...DON'T lol

I know what possessed you. You were thinking of the flavor of cream of mushroom soup, in a custard form. Put in a flour-based pie crust, with some chopped onion, and cooked ground beef, and maybe some copped carrot, you night have ahd a savory, umami bomb success.

I used to enjoy those contests. They really made you think outside the box. Remember the oatmeal challenge? I found a good number of things that could be made with oatmeal, various deserts, side dishes, and even a main course. But I digress.

If I can find that little gem of a cheesecake cookbook that I own, I'll share some of the delectable recipes from it.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom